cleaning the crud

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

vintage57

Reaction score
So risking that this will get moved or make someone mad for posting to the wrong forum...
Is there an easy way to get the dried crud off the inside of ACLs? I mostly mean the bottom inside. Do I need to invest in specialized brushes? Or what kind of brush do I need from the hardware store?
I posted here cause i am comfortable w/the soda guys and I thought it would save time scrolling thru many posts.
Thanks.
Terry

epackage

Reaction score
Some clean sand and a decent cleanser like 409 sprayed into the bottle then swirled around should take care of that no problem...

LC

Reaction score
Sand and plain water always worked for me , but Jim's suggestion as for using a cleanser is probably a better one .

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
You can get a set of bottle brushes fairly cheap.
Avoid the ones where the metal wire comes straight out the end as it can scratch the bottles.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Use 1/4 cup chopped copper (wire) with a dash of detergent or shampoo. Add water, a cork and some elbow grease. Copper is softer than glass on the hardness scale. Sand can scratch glass also steer clear of abrasive cleaners. If you use brushes they make these with brass bristles. Avoid steel bristles. Don't use bb's as these have only a thin layer of copper over a steel core. Have fun.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Made just the right shape.

Unlike the copper/sand/BBs/steel brush, you can keep it in a drawer and it does not rust.

..............but the shape of this brush is the big winner here, it can get everywhere in a bottle.

I've worn out two or three of these over the years.

12A561F10A0A4B22AAE4CCB368FFAFE4.jpg

Attachments

• 12A561F10A0A4B22AAE4CCB368FFAFE4.jpg
    12A561F10A0A4B22AAE4CCB368FFAFE4.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 81

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I use Kitty litter. Put a little warm water in and add K L and shake like hell!. It will dissolve eventually when it does, do it again. Litter is cheep and you get a lot in a bag.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: UncleBruce

Use 1/4 cup chopped copper (wire) with a dash of detergent or shampoo. Add water, a cork and some elbow grease. Copper is softer than glass on the hardness scale. Sand can scratch glass also steer clear of abrasive cleaners. If you use brushes they make these with brass bristles. Avoid steel bristles. Don't use bb's as these have only a thin layer of copper over a steel core. Have fun.
I use this method but alot of people don't have cut copper around...[;)]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

I use Kitty litter. Put a little warm water in and add K L and shake like hell!. It will dissolve eventually when it does, do it again. Litter is cheep and you get a lot in a bag.
You get alot of sand in a bag too, but you can use it over and over again....[;)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flipper93