Clover Pontil ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
This one is easily recognized in my opinion as just a round pontil broken up by the shape of the base.
I suspect most are do to the contact points of the base. The exception would be the rectangular ovals that had the sides of the rod cut off the accommodate the shape better.
Also Daniel, as in Chris's picture. Are you sure it's a cup mold and not TPM? It looks like a later UK bottle to me.

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

...I'm thinking it was just a round pontil rod end that had multiple contacts due to the beveled bottom...

quatrefoilpontil.jpg

Bingo. The answers are usually the simplest ones.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: sandchip

...I'm thinking it was just a round pontil rod end that had multiple contacts due to the beveled bottom...

quatrefoilpontil.jpg

Bingo. The answers are usually the simplest ones.
I have to disagree, there are clearly four angled indents to the base, a round punty would have pushed the base up round and not squared off like this IMO...

druggistnut

Reaction score
I have to disagree, there are clearly four angled indents to the base, a round punty would have pushed the base up round and not squared off like this

I agree with Jim and Matt. The angled sides would have made contact and the (ball section) in the center would never have touched and left residue.
Bill

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
It must have been slightly conical to hit the center and the sides. I cant imagine they would take the time to exactly line up a four lobed pontil device. That doesnt seen consistent with fast mass production. Time wasted is money lost.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm still wondering if the OP got what they needed or replied to the TPM question I asked.
I wish I had Willies book or a better description of Rickets machine and the bottle but I don't. I still think it looks like a TPM and a later adaptation of a process like the Ricket but this seems to have gone away from that question altogether. [8|]
I guess I'll never know.[:eek:]

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I'm still wondering if the OP got what they needed

I never figured out what "clover spice" was. Is that like the spice cloves? Or like a 4 leaf clover?
I just sort of went in the direction of the 4 leaf clover or four lobed pontil since it was familiar.

kungfufighter

Reaction score

It must have been slightly conical to hit the center and the sides. I cant imagine they would take the time to exactly line up a four lobed pontil device. That doesnt seen consistent with fast mass production. Time wasted is money lost.

Quoted for truth.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tigue710

That cross hatched example is very cool! Yes, they are like a signature, no two rods would be exactly alike. This is what is so exciting about them is that they will help us indisputably attribute certain bottles to a certain glass house and possibly even certain dates. So far a few have been found to have been used at Stoddard, that being the type of clover I've posted, and an 8 piece star type, or more like a pie, cut into 8 pieces. All I have seen look to have been made by cutting into the head of the punty rod.
Partially true but remember, these glassblowers moved from Glass House to Glass House and brought their tools with them.

tigue710

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: kungfufighter

ORIGINAL: tigue710

That cross hatched example is very cool! Yes, they are like a signature, no two rods would be exactly alike. This is what is so exciting about them is that they will help us indisputably attribute certain bottles to a certain glass house and possibly even certain dates. So far a few have been found to have been used at Stoddard, that being the type of clover I've posted, and an 8 piece star type, or more like a pie, cut into 8 pieces. All I have seen look to have been made by cutting into the head of the punty rod.
Partially true but remember, these glassblowers moved from Glass House to Glass House and brought their tools with them.

True true, good point Jeff. Still a lot can be told with these individual marks...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn