Cobalt blue medicine bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sitcoms

Reaction score
I believe the "lung inhaler" was a device, not a patent medicine. $15 sounds like way too much for even the most expensive patent medicines of the era, I don't remember seeing many which were sold for more than $2. It was probably something along the lines of this:
View attachment 250139

Dr. Wolfe sounds like he lived quite the life! I wonder if his patent medicines had any actual benefit, since it sounds like he was a real scientist they may not have been totally fraudulent, at least by the standards of what was considered good medical practice at that time. I'm guessing it was some sort of eucalyptol or camphor-based product. Also a good example of how "remedy" doesn't exclusively show up on 20th century bottles, it became much more popular after the Pure Food and Drug Act banned the word "cure" but it was definitely in use before then.
Appreciate the further research - I didn't even know about these. Old medicine has to be one of the most interesting topics - both for the approaches and sometimes archaic practices. From what I've found it does certainly seem that he had at least an inkling of medical knowledge, though who knows what this product specifically had. Certainly an interesting bottle and person behind it!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Never seen one before but I'm an east coast guy. We do see midwest medicines some. I suspect it is a rare one, a nice form for a WT standard bottle and a brilliant color. I suspect it is a rather good bottle.

Jim G

historic-antiques

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the rarity or the medicine company? This is a cobalt blue bottle, tooled lip, makers mark WT&co so pre 1901, Dr. N.b. wolfe's remedies for consumption, asthma, and catarrh form Cincinnati Ohio. Can't find much about it online, any thoughts?View attachment 250115View attachment 250116View attachment 250117
Anyone know anything about the rarity or the medicine company? This is a cobalt blue bottle, tooled lip, makers mark WT&co so pre 1901, Dr. N.b. wolfe's remedies for consumption, asthma, and catarrh form Cincinnati Ohio. Can't find much about it online, any thoughts?View attachment 250115View attachment 250116View attachment 250117

harryr1961

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the rarity or the medicine company? This is a cobalt blue bottle, tooled lip, makers mark WT&co so pre 1901, Dr. N.b. wolfe's remedies for consumption, asthma, and catarrh form Cincinnati Ohio. Can't find much about it online, any thought
The bottle was made by the Whitehall, Tatum & Co. Glassworks. Whitall Tatum Company - Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitall_Tatum_Companyp

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen