Cobalt Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

fergman78

Reaction score
I have had this bottle for a probably 20 years or so. One day while walking through the woods near my parents house we came across what appeared to be an old homes or buildings. All that was left were the foundations in the ground but there were several cobalt bottles as well as other types of glass jars buried in the ground. We took a few bottles the 1st time we went but over time we picked up quite a collection of these bottles, unfortunately my parents considered them all pretty much junk and this is the only one I still have. Just wondering if anyone had any info on it or if it had any value. I figured it was from the 1920's-1950's. It has an M on the bottom of the jar and measures a little over 3 inches tall.

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Scott,

Welcome to the A-BN, and thanks for the glimpse of your bottle.

Sorry to say that it does not have any collector interest or value, as such.

It was made at the Maryland Glass Corporation.

"M......................Maryland Glass Corporation, Baltimore, MD. (1907-c.1970s). Exact period of use uncertain, but verified on base of cobalt "Milk of Magnesia" bottle from circa 1950 (see next entry). Also, a similar mark is known on the base of mouth-blown amber beer bottles and an amber salve jar, c.1885-1895, and the maker in those cases is unknown. In some cases this may be the mark of the Mosser Glass Company (1971-to date), which of course is a much more recent mark.
M in a circle.........Maryland Glass Corporation, Baltimore, MD (1907-c.1970s). Mark first used in 1921, according to trademark info reported in Peterson's 400 Trademarks on Glass (1968). This company specialized in cobalt blue glass bottles and jars. Many of the containers made for Phillips Milk of Magnesia, Bromo-Seltzer, Vicks, Noxema, etc, were produced here. Maryland also produced the most commonly seen type of "violin bottle" in various shades of blue (and probably other colors). Maryland Glass was acquired by the Dorsey Corporation in 1968, and I believe that the "M" mark was discontinued sometime in the early 1970s. Anyone with info, please contact me on how late this mark was used. Note: The "M in a circle" mark has also been used more recently by the Mosser Glass Company (Cambridge, OH, 1971-to date), but in those cases it is usually found on tableware, novelties, toothpick holders, etc." From.

It likely had a spritzer or pump at one time.
cobalt_pump.jpg

groucho.jpg

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles