cobalt duffy pig sold on ebay?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NHkeith

Reaction score
I would send that one to the auction block :)

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
Definitely not a reproduction. This makes two cobalt examples known to collectors. I wonder how this seller would feel looking at the various bottle blogs and websites and seeing the huge dollar figures thrown out there for this cobalt pig? While it might not be realistically a $100k bottle, it would easily bring $50k. All it would take is for the non collector to see the chat about him selling the pig for $49k less than it's true value, and things would potentially go bad. Even though they set the price, I am confident that if they knew how special this example truly is, they would not have sold it for so little. They based their price on incorrect information, and though they own that decision, I see possible legal action being taken. Whomever "won"this bottle, had better keep this purchase under the radar...oh too late, there is a detailed story on American Bottle Auctions website, and others. You could rationalize " tough luck, they set the price", but it is still wrong. We all want to get a good deal, but this is not fair to the seller. That said, I do not know what I would have done if I had seen it first...wish I had, and also kind of glad I did not.

epackage

Reaction score
What legal action do you think could be taken, I'm very interested in your point...[8|]

bostaurus

Reaction score
Did they really have bad information? The description they apparently used did say amber.
I imagine we have all bought bottles that were undervalued..where would the line be drawn? Is it not right to pay below a certain percent of the estimated value and who determines the value? Would it be 10%, 50%, or more below?
What about the other way around? I was bidding on a vet bottle the other day and someone desperately wanted it. They wanted enough to pay about 50% more than the "normal" price. Great for the seller but should he have had it at a 'buy it now" price that was close to the estimated value?
I am no lawyer but I don't understand how you could make it a legal case. The person chose 'buy it now" and set a price. They could have chosen to start at that price and see where it went. That would have been interesting and more profitable for the seller.

sandchip

Reaction score
It has always been my understanding that unless the buyer was to say, "I'll give you $750.00." for the cobalt pig when he knew that it was worth far more than the $1,199.00 asked, then the seller is just out of luck. If he accepted the offer, then later finds out that it's worth 50K, then he has a case against the buyer. If you pay what is asked, then tuff tootie. Of course, I'm no lawyer either.

epackage

Reaction score
I'll believe there's a possible legal issue when people have to start giving half of their $4 million to thrift stores for the copies of the Declaration of Independence and Pablo Picasso's they buy for 50¢...[;)]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26