Coca Cola Hutchinson Bottles, Atlanta Consolidated Bottling Company.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hiresman1895

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Has anyone ever heard of Coca Cola being bottled in an hutchinson bottle by Atlanta Consolidated Bottling Company before? :confused: Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Tony

hemihampton

Reaction score
I haven't. Do you got a Pic? LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I did some research and as near as I can determine the Atlanta Consolidated Bottling Company never bottled Coca Cola. The company was established in 1891, which was five years after Coca Cola began in 1886. According to most historical accounts, the first bottler of Coca Cola was Joseph Biedenharn of Vicksburg, Mississippi in 1894. Some eBay sellers claim Atlanta Consolidated Bottling Company "might" have bottled Coca Cola, but it appears they are just guessing.

There appears to have been three variations of the Atlanta Consolidated Bottling Company Hutchinson bottles, two of which are similar, with the third example having the name embossed in an arched, horseshoe design. I can't say for certain, but the horseshoe embossed bottle might be the earliest of the three. The horseshoe bottle apparently does not have a makers mark, but the other two do. They are marked with "A.G.W." which stands for ...

A.G.W. ... American Glass Works, Richmond, Virginia (1908-1925)

Because two of the variations are marked with A.G.W., they no doubt date from 1908 or later. I'm not sure how long the Atlanta Consolidated Bottling Company was in operation, other than I have seen references for them at least as late as 1910. I have been unable to find one of their bottles that has a Crown closure. They appear to only have used Hutchinson bottles.

Newspaper article from ...

The Atlanta Constitution ~ October 14, 1891

* Notice the article mentions "Moxie" but no other major brands.

Atlanta Consolidated Bottling Co. Atlanta Constitution Oct 14, 1891.jpg

Two of the three variations ... Plus base on the non-horseshoe embossed bottle

Atlanta Consolidated Bottling Company Bottle Horeshoe No Makers Mark.jpg

Atlanta Consolidated Bottling Company Bottle AGW and ACB Co (2).jpg

Base ~ ACB Co ~ Heel marked with A.G.W.

Atlanta Consolidated Bottling Company Bottle AGW and ACB Co Base.jpg

Footnote:

There are two Atlanta Consolidated Bottling Company Hutchinson bottles currently on eBay. Both are listed "Buy It Now" with one @ $29.99 and the other one @ $14.97

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've seen some Coca Cola Hutchinsons that will say Property of Coca Cola co. with Coca Cola in script (in middle of slugplate) but no city listed. So how do we know where/who really bottled these? Unless your Atlantic Consolidated Bottling co. Hutch has the Coca Cola embossed in script in the glass how do you know that bottle contained Coca Cola? LEON.

hiresman1895

Reaction score
Thanks sodabob for all the hard work looking up that information!!!! The bottle I have & the other I have seen did not have coca cola or CC anywhere on bottles, they looked like the ones you have shown here.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles