coke bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pinkshovel

Reaction score
Afternoon everyone!
Another of Dad's basement bottles. It's just a common 16 oz green, money back bottle. What has me stumped....embossed/stamped in to the lower body is 77 23 LG. Now I've come to understand that LG with no dashes is Liberty Glass, Sapulpa, OK (just up the road a ways). On the BOTTOM of the bottle CAIRO ILL is embossed/stamped. Am I correct about Liberty Glass, and if so what is the Cairo ILL about? I know very little about Coke, obviously.

Oh yes! I also found 7, 10 oz clear hobbleskirts, NDNR, screw on cap type. They were all washed our real purty, and for Some Reason Daddy had plunked regular crown top Coke caps back on them! Only thing I can figure is he wanted to see if they would seal well enough to put his home brew in them. I have the bottle capper here..little rusty and needs oiling, but it still works. I remember capping his home brew for him...I thought it was a kick back then!

thank you

McCoke

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the 77 means 1977 was bottles year of manufacturer. Not sure of about the more modern bottle makers. After the late 1950s Coca-Cola placed random cities and states on the bottom of Coke bottles. Before the King Size Coke bottle era of 1955, 6 1/2, 10, 12, 16 and 26 ounce returnables, the city on the bottom meant that that Coke bottler owned that bottle. There was a period of 5 years or so that no cities were on the bottoms. Public outcry was the reason for the return of city and states on the bottom. Just random and nothing to do with a city of origin. That's why many collectors don't collect the acl label hobbleskirts by city and state.

Hope this helps you.

Tim

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn