Coke Question...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ronvae

Reaction score
Hello,
I went diving today to a spot where I knew there was a pile of old Cokes, and I was hoping that BENEATH that there would be a pile of the older bottles I really dive for. No such luck. Not wanting to come up empty-handed, I grabbed 11 cokes just before surfacing. No pix yet, as they are still soaking in bleach water. They are all cokes except for 2 Thomas Moore sodas (sadly, the ACL is mostly gone on those). My question is, when was the period that coke was putting the city & state of manufacture embossed into the bottom? There is one from Arkansas, one from Minnesota (where I'm diving), one from Montana, and one from Ohio. The rest don't have place-names on them. Some are big & some are little, the thickest glass is from Minnesota, so I'm assuming that's the oldest one. There is an air bubble or two in them, and they have that distinctive shape (hobbleskirt?). Was there a specific date-range when they did that location thing? Just curious.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
From the moment the first hobbleskirt came into use in 1916 and until 1955, the name of the city & state was embossed upon the bottom. In 1955 this practice was halted because it seemed to serve no function....bottles rarely were returned to their originating town. But, the public liked seeing where a particulat bottle of Coke they were drinking was from, and they inisisted upon its return...so, in 1963, Coca-Cola resumed putting the city & state on the bottoms.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1