Coke Thermometer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Eric

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider this a repro.. this is just a continuation of the same thermometer under a different
maker... It's a licensed product through Coca-Cola. It says nothing on it about “limited†or “reproduced
under the athourity of Coca-Colaâ€, etc. Which if it were a reproduction would HAVE to have or
Coke would shut them down!.... There are even versions of this same thermometer using 2 sided
glue/foam when they discontinued wiring the glass thermometer in place.. I have the Robertson version,
this version and others... It's a great thermomter to have and still can be found in great shape at a fair price.
The paints or “inks†they use now on signs fade. You have a nice clean, original 1970s/80s thermometer.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
edit/correction ...

In my Google post I incorrectly spelled "Donasco" as "Denasco" with an 'e'

Sorry bout that! [8|]

SPBOB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Eric ...

I agree and think we are bascially saying the same thing. You say "continuation" and I say "later re-make/reproduction." Different signs - Same company.

The closeup below is of the front side of the green backside of the thermometer I posted moments ago. It is described as an original "Donasco" from the 1960s. What I am attempting to establish is that the Donasco company was making Coca Cola and other brands of thermometers back in the 1960s, and "continued" making them throughout the 1970s and 1980s.

SPBOB

787AF006EED545858C9BA2C0F489AD19.jpg

Attachments

• 787AF006EED545858C9BA2C0F489AD19.jpg
    787AF006EED545858C9BA2C0F489AD19.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 88

Wolfdog

Reaction score
Here is one i have. It hung in my parents house for a long time. Im over 50 and i remember it from when i was young. It has no company name as to who made it . I figure this is an original.

E8418DD5D9D549B1A8AB988D0517E460.jpg

Attachments

• E8418DD5D9D549B1A8AB988D0517E460.jpg
    E8418DD5D9D549B1A8AB988D0517E460.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 112

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: acls

I picked this up in the early 1980s at the monthly flea market here in Memphis. I was hoping someone here might know something about this thermometer. I am assming it was new when I bought I bought it, but I am not sure? Anybody familiar with these? age? value? anything else?

acls ~

Based on your initial inquiry, I realize your primary interest is with information pertaining to your specific Coca Cola thermometer. I apologize for getting slightly off track here, but I thought it would benifit everyone concerned to try and establish a history for the Donasco company itself, which you'd think would be easy to do. But as it turns out, I can find no detailed information on the company itself. Lots of pictures of their various products, but no company history. I even found one reference which stated the name actually stands Don Asco, but I found nothing else to support this. My main hope here is to point out that just because various thermometers or tin sign says "Donasco" on them, doesn't automatically mean they are some kind of reproduction or an item made only in the 1970s and 80s.

The best example I have to support that the Donasco company goes back prior to 1960, is the Hires Root Beer sign shown below. On the page following this one I will post a closeup of the sign showing the "Donasco" name ... and possibly a date when it was made. I say "possible date" because I have yet to fully confirm that these numbers are in fact dates. However, I have found other references for these numbers, including a Royal Crown thermometer marked 5-59 (May 1959 ?), which strongly support that these numbers do in fact indicate the dates the items were made.

If someone knows more about "Donasco, Incorporated," and the dates they were in business, especially a starting date, please share it with the rest of us.

Thanks,

SPBOB

[ Hires Sign Full Image ]

F61BF8ACD6924775A5A8835711CDFFE3.jpg

Attachments

• F61BF8ACD6924775A5A8835711CDFFE3.jpg
    F61BF8ACD6924775A5A8835711CDFFE3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 87

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
[ Hires Sign Closeup Lower Right Corner - Marked 2-48 - Very Possibly for February, 1948 ] ???

85464830F73849FE8E8F192B20850553.jpg

Attachments

• 85464830F73849FE8E8F192B20850553.jpg
    85464830F73849FE8E8F192B20850553.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 83

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

I forgot to mention I also found a reference stating that some of the Donasco thermometers, and possibly signs, are supposed to be listed in Allan Petretti's "11th Edition" book. I only have the 12th Edition. If someone has the 11th Edition, please share with us what you find.

Thanks again,

SPBOB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
acls ~

I had some time to do a little more research today, and found the following from some guy who collects thermometers. His response was in regards to a similar discussion as this one. He sounds pretty confident and seems to know what he is talking about. This is the only reference I have found from dozens of searches which indicates the Donasco company did in fact exist in the 1940s and was manufacturing thermometers at the time. If what this guy says is true, then it appears the thermometer in question is just one of a long line of products made by the Donasco Company.

But where in the heck was the Donasco Company located, and why can't I find any history on them?

SPBOB

"Donasco made a variety of advertising thermometers dating back to the 1940's. Most of you should be familiar with some of their more common 26" x 10" thermometers featuring RC Cola, Dr Pepper and Barq's Root Beer. The Coke bottle thermometers can be found in 12 or so different versions and have been used over the last 80 years for the purpose of advertising. This is an extremely common thermometer. And because it can be confused with the other versions of the same thermometer, this is the reason people mistake it for a reproduction. I don't believe this thermometer was intended to be sold in Kmart. This thermomter was made in the USA. The tab on the top is more expensive to incorporate into the sign than drilling a small hole in the top. Where the thermometer indicates "Trade Mark" in a circle (R), it could not be older than 60s. This is just my opinion and I would love to hear any opposition."[/align][/align] [/align]

BMac

Reaction score
Donasco is short for Donaldson Art Sign Company, you can do a internet search on the name. I have several signs with Donasco on them.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Barry ~

Kudos! You're the man! Things have gone from zero to zoom in sixty seconds. And just when I was about to give up the search and thinking Donasco was a 1940s company ... man, was I off a few years.

Thanks a million on behalf of myself and everyone concerned. I'm surprised that in all of my search attempts for Donasco that the following never once popped up ...

I'll be back!

SPBOB

Donaldson Art Sign Company

The Donaldson Art Sign Company in Covington and the Donaldson Lithography Company in Newport can be traced back to a partnership between William M. Donaldson and Henry Elms. These two entrepreneurs began a small lithography business in Cincinnati on August 10, 1863 . By the end of the first year of operation, the firm owned and operated seven hand printing presses. With the death of Mr. Elms in 1872, the business became the sole property of Donaldson. The company was officially incorporated as the Donaldson Lithograph Co. in 1883.

The company moved to the City of Newport, Kentucky in 1898, and was housed in the old Duber Watch Case Company facility (6th and Washington Streets). The company flourished in its Newport location. By 1913, plans were underway to expand the firm. William M. Donaldson acquired the old Central Covington Stockyards at 21st and Banklick Streets. Plans called for a 50,000 square foot building that would eventually employ 200 workers. The dimensions of the building, designed by architect Bernard T. Wisenall, were 160’ x 140’. The cost of construction reached the sum of nearly $100,000. Work on the new plant was begun in August 1914. At the Covington facility, lithography work was done on iron, tin, glass and other metals. The Newport location continued in operation and did lithography work on paper and muslin.

William M. Donaldson died on October 22, 1931 at the age of 91. Despite this loss, both the Art Sign Company in Covington and the Lithographic Company in Newport continued to operate. Ownership of the company, however, remained in the family until 1981. That year, the company was purchased by Robert McLaughlin, a former company vice president, and James Keller. In 1987, the Donaldson Art Sign Company ceased operation. The owners of the company declared bankruptcy. The bank which held the mortgage on the property also went bankrupt. The building remained, however, and quickly deteriorated. The company’s facilities were littered with asbestos, solvents, fuel oil, and other hazardous wastes. With no owner to be found, the United States Environmental Protection Agency spent $300,000 in 1988 cleaning up the site.

In January 1990, the ramshackle structure was severely damaged by fire. A 15-year old was later charged for setting the fire which resulted in an estimated loss of $100,000. At that time, the City of Covington , the EPA and the IRS held liens on the property.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal