colored pontil medicine-cure

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blade

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this bottle my friend and I dug on Friday. Any info would be appreciated.

11C4ACDD3502491AA36F4B3372C7C412.jpg

Attachments

• 11C4ACDD3502491AA36F4B3372C7C412.jpg
    11C4ACDD3502491AA36F4B3372C7C412.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 71

blade

Reaction score
2nd picture

Attachments

• C55A13BA58B845C2BB1780359CA2B196.jpg
    C55A13BA58B845C2BB1780359CA2B196.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 73

blade

Reaction score
3rd picture.

3095DD2DD106406D8B2A8A4FC9377960.jpg

Attachments

• 3095DD2DD106406D8B2A8A4FC9377960.jpg
    3095DD2DD106406D8B2A8A4FC9377960.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 68

blade

Reaction score
4th picture.
Also the bottle reads.
1st panel-Prepard by
2nd panel-Dr.Braddee
3rd panel-Cordial Balm
4th panel-of Health

36FC7516ADA743369A4C599468D43039.jpg

Attachments

• 36FC7516ADA743369A4C599468D43039.jpg
    36FC7516ADA743369A4C599468D43039.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 70

passthebottle

Reaction score
That my freind is one nice looking bottle, looks to be an unusual color, what color would you call it.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
That's quite a rare and early medicine. It doesnt seem to be listed anywhere especially in that color. From what I can tell it was made by John F Braddee in Uniontown PA as early as the 1830s.
If someone offers you a couple thousand for it just laugh at them and say make me a real offer [:D][:D]

blade

Reaction score
I have the bottle on Ebay starting price is $500, do you guys think that is to low? Also thanx, GuntherHess for the feedback.

bearswede

Reaction score
Here's some info from the Arkansas Gazette from 1836:

The Cordial Balm of Health
An excellent medicine, prepared and sold only by me or my authorized agents. It is acknowledged to be peculiarly efficacious, to all inward wastings, loss of appetite, indigestion, depression of the spirits, trembling, or shaking of the hands or limbs, shortness of the breath, consumptive habits; it thins the blood, eases the most violent pains of the head and stomach, and promotes gentile respiration.

Those who have the care and education of females, or are of sedentary habits, should never be without the cordial balm of health, which removes diseases of the head, invigorates and improves the mind, and quickens the imagination. And it is recommended to the weak, the relaxed and debilitated, as a speedy restorative; also in consumptions, spittng of blood, or loss of blood, pain in the breast and side, inward weakness or loss of flesh, also in cyspepsias. It is valuable in diseases attended with such symptoms of difficulty of breathing, sense of cold, as if water was poured on the patient, flying pains in the arms, limbs, back, and belly like in the gravel; the pulse variable, sometimes slow at others quick, frequent sighing, and sometimes a feeling of suffocation, as from a ball or lamp, alternative fits of crying; the stomach frequently disordered, the body weakened, paleness or emaciation, eyes sunk in the head. The value of this medicine is daily demonstrated, in removing the most dangerous effects of nervous debility, and nothing has given it greater fame than its success in those complaints which take a deep root on the condition, and are so fatal to the happiness of mankind; it is also good for the whooping cough. I have never used this valuable medicine in my practice without success in the diseases mentioned.

Dose - from one third to a whole tea spoonfull one hour before meals, with light diets and mild drinks.

Dr. John F. Braddee, Uniontown, Pa.

The following are selected from numerous
RECOMMENDATIONS
This is to certify, that my wife was in the last stage of consumption, and so far gone that she lost her hearing, and I had to life her about the same as a child. The place of my residence is Wheeling, Va. where I has applied to the most eminent physicians in that place, all to no purpose, and she still grew worse, until I made out to get her to Uniontown, where I placed her under the care of Dr. J.F. Braddee, in that place, where she commenced taking this cordial balm of health, and she is now able to return hom and is nearly as well as ever, and out of danger, and when I left her in Uniontown, I did not expect she would ever return again. I wish you to make this known for the benefit of the public. Given under my hand and seal, this 14th day of November 1834.

George Carter [Seal]
and wife, [Seal]

Test. Walter Carlie
Wm. Eskry

Receive my thanks for the great benefit you medicine has rendered me. The people here talk a great deal about my recovery; it was the thought impossible.

From Elizabeth Beamer, dated Franklin, Westmoreland county, Pa. September 9, 1834

For farther particulars and a host of recommendations, see the wrapper of the bottle.

Sold by McLain & Badgett, Little Rock; L.N. Clarke, Morrison's Bluffs; John Henry & Co., Columbia; George S. & C. Bernie, and W.W. Fleming, Fort Smith; W.W. Fleming, James Forbe, Joseph Bennett & Co. Mouth of White river.

06/07/1836 THE PUBLIC MEETING,

Ron

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I hate to tell you this but you will probably only get about 1/2 of what you should get for it selling it on ebay. A great bottle like that should be sold at a major glass auction house like Glass Works auctions. I watch realized prices constantly and there is a big difference for these high end pieces.
If it was mine I would quickly end the ebay auction and consign it with a real bottle auction company of your choosing. Just my opinion of course, its yours to do with what you wish. Best of luck whatever you decide.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I looked at the ebay auction. A few things I noted... You only accept paypal. A lot of people paying that type of money are going to want to pay with check or money order. Some of the big buyers seem to be anti-Paypal. You should try to take some photos in daylight outside to get the real color. If you set a reserve price there is no point really setting a high start price. Reserve auctions seem to work better if you set a low start value. You have a low feedback and are only selling the one bottle. That tends to make sellers hold on to thier wallets a bit tighter..
Not trying to beat on you, just giving you a different view from a buyer's perspective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday