colored pontil medicine-cure

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
back to the bottle...i know little about molds other than Philadelphia and NJ made bottles and what Chris has told me about the Baltimore stuff. I do not assume an amber puff is Stoddard just because its amber. This bottle looks to be dip molded? maybe an early Pitts made bottle? It almost takes the shape of a snuff.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
there are good doctors and bad doctors. there are good auction houses and bad auction houses

I couldn't agree more. I simply have a difficult time with folks making unfounded assumptions and/or questioning an auctioneer's right to charge for their services or act in a businesslike manner. Are any of the auctioneers perfect? Of course not. With that said, they do provide an important service to the business (yes, I said that)/hobby of collecting old bottles and I don't think that they as a group should be unfairly maligned.

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
ignore the assumptions and work with the experiences. and when someone complains about the premium, think about what you would like to pay at an any auction house. I usally pay 10% for a general auction and 15% for an antique sale. That is totally ridiculous, but like you said...this is how these people make a living. If the auction house appeals to the consumer in the quality manner, they should appeal to the consumer in the financial manner. I agree that its hard work to do thousands of bottles for an auction, but theres only how many sales a year?? they have plenty of time to consign and catty the shibby. to tell you truth jeff, i really dont care. if i wanted to buy a bottle i would want to touch it, and if i wanted to sell a good one, id sell it at a show. Id rather see the collector get it and id rather get as much as its worth. I dont want to worry if the right people see it etcetc. I sell good bottles that dont fit on the shelf about twice a year...i make my money off antiques and pimping.

earlyglass

Reaction score
Please, just don't mix antiques and pimping... nothing is gained from 80 year old prostitutes.

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
guntherhess is my #1 customer in that category....ill say that some people have wierd fetishes

baltbottles

Reaction score
Matt,

The bottle obviously isn't dip molded. Its blown in a 2 piece hinge mold. If the bottle had been "dip molded" the process of expanding the gather fully in the mold to create the shape and embossing. Would have left no way to remove the bottle from the mold other then pulling it straight out. This would have distorted the embossing very badly and probably misshapen the bottle due to the bold embossing becoming stuck in the mold. In dip molding the mold only creates the basic shape of the bottle below the shoulder. the shoulder and neck are all free blown. This process was generally used to create unembossed utility forms. Such as Snuff and liquor bottles. The only embossed Dip molded bottles I can think of is the BGW (Baltimore Glass Works) Squat Cylinder circa 1800 ish. The embossing on these is so week it could easily go unnoticed if you didn't know to look for it. And another slightly taller cylinder of about the same age with a small W embossed on the side. Again the embossing is very week and distorted. As for amber utilities I'm sure most east coast glass houses made utility forms in colors other then aqua.

Chris

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Kudos Chris, as usual, you make a very clear explanation of the bottle making process.

Digger George

Reaction score
What A Find!

I agree with chris

did you paint your fingernails?

i like turtles

ebay 12,000 buy it now, do it.

good luck with whatever you do.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads