Confusing Crown Construction?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
It wouldn't be so confusing if it weren't for the fact that the makers put a seam right through actual letters on the embossing. I'm not sure how they managed to do that.
ZtnM7WJs4zjn7a6IpYAyMEVqMBSW2CjC7si7HZA2GwAk=w886-h719-no
Seriously, what is the point of not only adding 4 seams to the sides, but also continuing only 2 of them up the lip-- and 1 of those 2 cutting through the embossing?
vTPhP3LwA9alCbEjImEsOLa542WQR7frwD2k2-dFNa5o=w699-h719-no
The red lines in the photo above and the photo below are seams. It cuts through what looks like a vent-hole on the letter "I."
Yetter%2B%2526%2BMoore%2B006.JPG
The blue shows, on the other side, the embossing. It is obviously machine-made, but the thinnest seams are the ones that reach the lip.
Yetter%2B%2526%2BMoore%2B005.JPG
The two thicker seams are in the place where we usually see seams, but they make it look like a tooled crown for they stop before the lip.
cgy69PzIA20HjWzNbM8tMg_J0hkzMjpIF7f40A__fUDW=w958-h719-no
The base itself is very interesting.
m3Eo8_ucm36Wyhdth6N7Y4ejM60pXm16WIX6ivyqdXls=w958-h719-no
I think that I've seen only one other like it. ^The glass-maker went out in 1920, so it's likely a 1910s bottle. The glass-maker was Bottler's & Manufacturer's Supply Company of Long Island City, New York.
Yetter%2B%2526%2BMoore%2B010.JPG
At first, I wasn't sure what country it was even from-- Yetter & Moore; Riverhead, L.I.; Centre Moriches. Certainly doesn't sound like a Long Island, new York bottle! And so I almost didn't pick it up, not only because of that but also because they wanted $10 (I knocked them way down)-- and I had almost missed the place with the sign that said "Big Sale" on one side and "Small Sale" on the other.And then when I got it home last week after driving around for an hour, I set it on the counter in front of my mom who I was talking to.A few seconds later, she swings a box at it as it goes flying toward the wall-- and I catch it. Then everything goes wrong over the ensuing days; and even today as I begin photographing it, my camera dies. :/Needless to say, it seems like something didn't want me to get answers on the construction of a common L.I. bottle? LOL.

dw3000

Reaction score
Not sure what to make of the extra seams. But looking at the base, it appears BIM to me. I would expect to see an Owen's ring on a machine-made bottle of that age.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
But aren't BIM bottles tooled? The seams in the normal place tell me, "Tooled." The seams in the odd places tell me, "Machine made" but also tell me something's very wacky. I just cannot imagine why (how) they put seams through the embossing on the front and back.

Blackglass

Reaction score
I'm going to respectfully disagree with dw and say that there is no doubt in my mind that it's machine-made. The bottle is quite odd as far as production goes, and I unfortunately haven't seen one of those in my personal experiences. It's possible that the "seams" that do not reach the lip and cut through the embossing are not actually mold seems and are rather just arbitrary mold markings that have to do with the chamber in which the bottle was blown. That'd be my best guess, but it could still be some sort of short-lived quadruple-sectioned mold.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
The seams that do not reach the lip do not cut through the embossing.The seams that do reach the lip do cut through the embossing. You got it mixed up, by appearances. I'm just not sure how it was done since molds were engraved by hand, and therefor the mold shouldn't have letters with seams bisecting them. What I'd love to know is what kind of machine does this, and how long did that survive. And who the heck figured it out?

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
My opinion is this is a BIM bottle that was turned while it was still in the mold giving the appearance of 4 seams.

sunrunner

Reaction score
hay Bear this is what I am thinking . this is a semi automatic bottle , made in two steps . first off the seam you see going thro the embossing may be the seam of the making of the mold itself ( no slug ,cast in the mold ). this being residual . the second set of mold marks are left from the mold itself after the bottle was blown . and then you have a forth set ,made when the gaffer added the lip on yet another machine.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Those early machines did some wonky things Jim. I don't have a better explanation so I'll go with that. [8|]

sandchip

Reaction score
The top remains the same from the first mold which preforms the parison and is blown upside down. It is removed from the first mold, being held by the lip part of the mold (the reason for the horizontal mold line below the lip), inverted and inserted into the full size mold where blowing is completed. There was some incidental rotation in transit, for whatever reason, resulting in the preform mold lines being visible in the finished piece.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH