Cool fossil

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

j.dinets

Reaction score
Yes, from what I can see, the majority of the pictures are Nautiloids, ie: cephalopods. The one pictured towards the end appears to be a coiled cephalopod. Cephalopods continued on to this day in the form of the Chambered, and the Paper Nautilus. The segment lines represent the growth/chamber lines. The other photos appear to be brachiopods, the one in the group picture with the "butterfly wings" appears to be Mucrospirifer. as to the others I could guess but would proably be wrong as there are over 3,000 known types. I wish the area I am in had the wealth of fossils you are finding. My area was coverd by the Silurian Sea, but is mostly unavailable. Good luck in your collecting both fossils, and bottles.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Dang, nice stuff! And man I wish you didn't mention the loss of the dino, reading that made me slightly ill, lol. It may, however, provide some excitement for the archaeologists of the future when they get around to digging our landfills!

Over the years I've collected a whole bunch of fossils; mostly random items in creeks that cut through thick layers of glacially deposited cobbles, but along the Kickapoo Creek in Peoria there are striking cliff/rock faces with a fascinating sedimentary layer of black shale directly above a coal seam (and below massive layers of sandstone). In this late carboniferous shale (or early Permian, hard to say because I've searched but haven't found any paleontological info regarding this specific deposit), which splits open in thin sheets like pages in a book, are a fascinating range of well-preserved fossils, though it takes plenty of patience to isolate and extract the fossiliferous zones and locate the interesting specimens. In addition to unusual brachiopods I haven't seen in limestone formations, I've found an ammonite and the truly fascinating fossils of proto-sharks, which were way more advanced than most other organisms around at the time. I found a splendid tooth from the Agassizodus corrugatus "crusher shark" in this shale, and the majority of a Listracanthus, albeit rather disarticulated. In the shale one finds the singular shed denticles from the listracanthus shark (they look like fins or feathers, and can be up to 3 inches in length or more) but the assemblage of hundreds upon hundreds plus "bony" features I found was certainly a rather intact though young example, as the denticles were particularly small.

As far as I know, these shark fossils haven't been documented as being present in the strata underlying Peoria county. Just as we can discover unknown (forgotten) bottles or other historic relics through a bit of legwork, so too can we come across far more ancient knowledge. Makes life interesting.

MuddyMO

Reaction score
Those are too cool! Definitely like those slender amonites. I think the Dino egg may actually be a whale's eardrum, looks like the ones I've found before.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn