Cool pinkish bottle with stopper, pontil and handblown. HELP!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

grugirl

Reaction score
a quick run through a swap meet and here is what I found. What is it? I LOVE IT! The bottle has no seams, has original stopper, nice pontil mark, glass stamp and drip lip and all sorts of beautiful seeds that run up into the neck even.I MUST KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS BOTTLE.
IMG_2939.jpg
IMG_2935.jpg
IMG_2933.jpg
IMG_2936.jpg

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Cheryl,

IMG_2936.jpg

I do like this photo and the way the stopper magnifies and bends the screening. I, unfortunately, do not believe that stopper goes with, nor is original to that bottle style.

The background of your photos seems to be in focus, while the bottle is not. I can not make out the details of the seal at all.

IMG_2935.jpg
I'm not at all sure of what I am looking at in the above image. I keep expecting to see Jacques Cousteau come swimming out of that cavern. [8D]

Colorwise, I think it's gonna light up your window!

wsci_01_img0125.jpg

grugirl

Reaction score
the picture you cannot make out is the pontil mark on the bottom.
I wasn't sure the top went with it either but the glass color is the same. It just doesn't seem right for the period of the bottle. I am intriqued but have to find out more

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Something screams "repro" about this bottle. Maybe even a fantasy piece from Mexico, or another such place that makes decorative glass. They make bottles in primitive ways so that they have more "character", making them look better as decorative pieces. I think you can buy similar things in Ikea and other decorator stores. This seems very likely, especially due to the fact that you got it from a person who had other modern bottles.

grugirl

Reaction score
Darn, I was hoping it was a real find. I wonder if I will ever develop the skills to just be able to tell a real from a fake. I love it just the same. I think it is cool

JENLUVSBOTTLES

Reaction score
Hey we all do it one time or another. I remember on time at the antique mall when we first started collecting I found this pitcher and I insisted it was old. I paid $25 for it. It was a cleavenger repro and not a nice one either, lol! That was a few years a go now. It takes time and research to lean. [:)] You'll get there.

grugirl

Reaction score
Thanks for the pickup Jen. I do love them ... they are too fun. My thing is not so much that they are worth something, but that they are glass and I love the way they look. I love my window sills filled with them.

grugirl

Reaction score
I am still not convinced this is a fake. I don't think the stopper goes with the bottle, but the seeding is fantastic in this bottle, it is lopsided and it screams handblown

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
No doubt in my mind it's hand blown gru but there are companies today that still do that. It's a nice one and a better pic of the seal may narrow it down.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Cheryl,

Please get all focusy in your photosgraphs. Take one of the seal, the base, and the neck & lip. I don't doubt that it's screaming handblown, it most likely is.

The pontil/Cavern of Cousteau area seems to be multi-colored. Is that a film or flashing? Is there any wear on the base? It's a long way from Millville to Jalisco, but they both did/do considerable hand blowing.

Swap meets are not necessarily my first stop when looking for antique glass. They may be a good spot for products from Jalisco or Puebla.

"Mexico is the land of the master craftsman. Known throughout history as being expert potters, weavers and wood carvers, Mexican artists have really made their mark as glassblowers. Beginning in 1542 in Puebla, these artists produced glass items in a variety of shapes with little more than a long pipe and a glob of melted glass. Experienced Mexican glass blowers will even add effects as small bubbles, blobs of color or pebbles to their finished to pieces to make them stand out.

Authentic Mexican glass is easily identified by a ponti, or a place at the bottom of the finished product that indicates it was mouth blown. Another feature of Mexican glass is its individual nature. No two pieces are ever exactly alike in size, shape or design, which simply adds to the unique nature of each piece." From.

glassblowing-300x224.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology