Couldnt wait any longer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Reading the posts on here I had to run to the woods and hit the old 1890-1900 dump. So I purchased some bug spray, and a OFF fan dispenser bug gizmo. Then packed gear up and headed for the jungle of growth I was presented with. Not to mention the water holes that I had hoped disapated as Id be digging a creek bed.

Climbed through the foliage, and found my spot. This spot has had 1890s bottles and later come from it. So many broken ones its a shame. Or to be to the point I couldve made money on. So I commenced digging in the goo because it stuck to the 3 prong. Whom ever owned this property belived in Dr Goldens because Ive found so many broken ones, I swear this person owned stock in the product.

Probably had a bucket full of broken off tops and necks, and Mason glass. Then, finally a pharmacy bottle intact and no cracks!. Then a clear piece of glass rather flat as the side of a milk....but reads Little BoPeep ammonia....kept that because its script is interesting. Then found another pharmacy while digging under an 10 inch piece of log. Also recovered 1 marble. After 5 hours of digging (was up at first light) I decided to come back, shower and clean up the few finds.

Even though the muck was difficult to work in, it was enjoyable to be digging for something.

mainer1

Reaction score
Sounds like a great day of digging

swizzle

Reaction score
Sounds like some tough digging but some decent finds. Do you have any pics? Swiz

TJSJHART

Reaction score
well it sounds like it was a rough day....but you got out of the house doin what you like doin and came home with something to show for the time out there....was it better then sittin at home ?[:)]

MIdigger

Reaction score
Found it most enjoyable. Everyone knows that feeling you get when the 3 prong hits an intact bottle!! Swiz no pics yet, I dont know how to post them yet, but will have a digital cam this weekend and with some assistance from my sister and the members here, I should be able to figure it out.
I know it makes it much easier for all of you to give your opinions and information from a picture VS someone explaining what they have. So, I need to update my equipment to include these items.
I did find one additional shard (actually a bottom to maybe a soda?) and I cleaned it. It says...design patented AUG 5th 1919. Of course its raining here today so a return trip would mean MORE goo....figure Ill wait it out and let it dry out. Maybe then I can do some sifting too. Thus far, farming impliments (steel) parts, bottles, broken pottery, broken dishes, but no childrens toys, or other small trinkets yet. The property was owned by a single man (as stated on a 1907 Twp map)... maybe he didnt have time for odd stuff...marbles etc.
Makes me love that Pharmacy I found, first time I dug there with the Dec 11 1891 patent date on it.

woodswalker

Reaction score
Sounded like a lot of digging...and with all the rain we've had lately doesn't make it any easier!! I don't know what part of MI you live in but the weather on the west side of the state looks to be rainy thru the weekend...I get to help dig a privy tomorrow down in Niles!! I'm so excited I can hardly wait!!!

I can't stand rainy days in the summer...they make for lazy time tho....[:D] My digging partner really enjoys her lazy time!!!

E27958D44F4642A88911F27777C66E93.jpg

Attachments

• E27958D44F4642A88911F27777C66E93.jpg
    E27958D44F4642A88911F27777C66E93.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 31

MIdigger

Reaction score
N/E of Flint but that rains been steady here too. That water just sits in the part Im trying to excavate and I have to wait until it dries out. May have to resort to metal detecting at the elementary schools this weekend instead....IF the rains arent too bad. Heard its supposed to rain all weekend.

woodswalker

Reaction score
Good luck...and you know how the weather is in MI lol...they call for 30 and 40% Sat & Sun on one news station and the other I checked said mostly clear skies, slight chance of rain and mid 70's.....
So I guess if each station has a different forecast at least one of them will get it right!!! Good luck out there...I'll be back to rummaging thru my foundation excavation[8D].....

Amanda :)~

swizzle

Reaction score
Oh yes that sweet squeek as the digger slides across still hidden glass. You just have to love it. You may find that most if not all the bottles that you're digging below the high water line is broken. Freeze and thaw effect. If not then the older stuff may still be deeper. What tools are you using to dig with besides the 3 prong? Swiz

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well, my backpack is usually full. 3 different 3 prongs varied length and one has a small spade end., small garden spades, a Gerber foldable shovel, a folding friskars saw, some 18 and 24 inch probes. I think thats it for tools. I do have a 6 ft probe also and a shaker table I built. The rest of the pack is first aid, pop/water,candy bars, meds, cell phone, flashlight, spare batt, bug spray, and a large magnet, and some para cord, and bags to put the finds in.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen