Couple of finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wedigdixie

Reaction score
Dont know much about priveys but know alot about civil war huts, these are some bottles that we recovered from Maryland from a New York Regiment camp hut site. A few Squat Whiskeys and a Champagne.

DDBC024583B2453782D1F938D0A1BA13.jpg

Attachments

• DDBC024583B2453782D1F938D0A1BA13.jpg
    DDBC024583B2453782D1F938D0A1BA13.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 65

wedigdixie

Reaction score
another pic

76C3095F1B674BFC93E03F6948B51604.jpg

Attachments

• 76C3095F1B674BFC93E03F6948B51604.jpg
    76C3095F1B674BFC93E03F6948B51604.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 60

cadburys

Reaction score
Nice finds there... too bad all the tops were lopped off!

Ant

wedigdixie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cadburys

Nice finds there... too bad all the tops were lopped off!

Ant

Yea according to one source in the relic world the soldiers would knock the tops off to make it easier to drink.

CHRISTHEHAWK

Reaction score
Do you ever find unbroken bottles and if so can you post some pictures ?
Thanx, The Hawk

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Matt,...welcome to the forum....Cool post. I'm surprised that with all the flack over archeologists being against privy digs and such, that there's not more drama over civil war sites....How do you get around that? Private land?...is it okay to dig them...Pretty cool. Were the tops buried in w/ the bottles? Thanks for posting.

wedigdixie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

Matt,...welcome to the forum....Cool post. I'm surprised that with all the flack over archeologists being against privy digs and such, that there's not more drama over civil war sites....How do you get around that? Private land?...is it okay to dig them...Pretty cool. Were the tops buried in w/ the bottles? Thanks for posting.

Wow archeologists are against privey digging to? Why? I guess they want everything to their self and think that people like us are not professional enough to extract artifacts such as CW relics or bottles, etc... There is a huge war over archeologists and relic hunters there has been for years, I wont even begin to get into that. Mostly everything that we dig on is private land and I have the owners consent, but I have gotten permission from the state of NC to hunt several national parks looking for significant campsites. we have a very good reputation across NC and have only had two run ins with archeologists one was OK and the other was almost a brawl. And if this is illegal to post then please remove this post, our sites www.wedigdixie.com and was built to bring relic hunters, historians, and archeologists together so we could al save history before its all destroyed by mother earth

wedigdixie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CHRISTHEHAWK

Do you ever find unbroken bottles and if so can you post some pictures ?
Thanx, The Hawk

Sure I will post some maybe after Christmas, I have 2 Log Cabin Bitters which a flawless and very rare, bout a dozen Ginger Beers, Gibson and Sons, 2 Cathedral Pickles, and a few nice inks

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
Welcome Matt,
I just joined your CW forum at your site.......can't wait to read and view some of the posts. If I lived on the East Coast, I would definitely be out there searching for CW artifacts.

I work in the civil engineering field and it seems all of us collectors butt heads with archaeologists. I didn't know that about soldiers knocking the tops of the bottles..........I was thinking that same thing why are all the tops gone?

There's a lot of great folks on here, I think you'll like it alot.

Happy Holidays,
Doug

wedigdixie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Dabeel

Welcome Matt,
I just joined your CW forum at your site.......can't wait to read and view some of the posts. If I lived on the East Coast, I would definitely be out there searching for CW artifacts.

I work in the civil engineering field and it seems all of us collectors butt heads with archaeologists. I didn't know that about soldiers knocking the tops of the bottles..........I was thinking that same thing why are all the tops gone?

There's a lot of great folks on here, I think you'll like it alot.

Happy Holidays,
Doug

Thanks for joining and the welcome to the forum I just approved you so you can begin reading anytime you wish, also know that we do monthly contests under the contest forum and give away all kinds of stuff from bottles, relics, metal detectors etc...

Have a Merry Christmas

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson