Crazy foundation finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

squibby17

Reaction score
Some more finds in the same wall..

Attachments

• 02697A6A872E4CF4B1C09C4AD1851BCA.jpg
    02697A6A872E4CF4B1C09C4AD1851BCA.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 87

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Hi Squibby,
I think Plumbata is on the right track I would definitely put that onto other forums as mentioned and native american blogs or sites. Someone may recognize that pattern or symbol. That second photo looks like more bone fragments and pieces.

frozenmonkeyface

Reaction score
Various grave goods were deposited alongside the bodies inside the passage. Excavations that took place in the late 1960s and early 1970s revealed seven 'marbles', four pendants, two beads, a used flint flake, a bone chisel and fragments of bone pins and points.

This is a passage from this website : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newgrange

Maybe the term "grave goods" could help in some way?
I know Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source... but maybe that will help?

frozenmonkeyface

Reaction score
http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/cairn/deconstructed.html

Near the end of the page is a photo of a "grave good" that is similar in shape to yours. It doesn't have the same symbol thought.

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
It was a very common practice (probably pretty much routine) on this side of the Atlantic for people to place items in foundations, walls, chimneys, under doorsteps,under hearthstones, in roofs of their homes (in fact pretty much anywhere in the fabric of a house) as good luck charms, to ward off evil spirits, etc, etc, well into the 18th century, and even in the 19th century in some areas.

If your house dates to the 1700s then I'd expect that pendant and bone werethat kind of thing.

Bottles are also a pretty common find. Not just witch bottles (here's an American one) but any kind of bottle including empty ones. For example, "A Staffordshire remedy [was] to hang an empty glass bottle up the chimney". Here are some very cool bottles from one such find, including a nice Daffy's.

squibby17

Reaction score
We are in Massachusetts. No lie, when I pulled it out of the wall and realized what it was I had a flashback of Poltergeist and pictures ghosts swirling around my house..."go to the light, Caroline.." Lol

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles