critters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diggerjeff

Reaction score
i raised 2 raccoons this summer. i was given them in april by the farm hand next door. he had cut a tree down and the mother was killed along with another baby.they were about a week old when i got them.i weened them on kitten replacement milk and fattened them up for the winter. i had a male and female,the female is pictured here.she weighed 18.5 lbs and he 20.5 lbs. they were released 2 weeks ago. she comes to visit me almost every evening. i have never had a raccoon as a pet but if i did not have 5 dogs 12 chickens and 3 cat i surely would have kept her around the house.

2E2732A70A0D4CD2BA25F5A7D9DBC176.jpg

Attachments

• 2E2732A70A0D4CD2BA25F5A7D9DBC176.jpg
    2E2732A70A0D4CD2BA25F5A7D9DBC176.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 80

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Jeff, The wife said to catch her and vet her up and she will come and get her and pay you back for the vet bill. Our dog would love her, our chickens and guineas are so old they haven't layed an egg in 6 or 7 years and a coon won't go near a goose.

Of course she would have to live in the house and have her own bed and die weighing 125 lbs.[;)]

annie44

Reaction score
That's a great story, and a wonderful picture! I imagine what you did was difficult considering how young the raccoons were when you took over their care, but I admire your compassion. I always feel sorry for the wildlife around my house because there is nowhere for them to go anymore because of all the new development. Believe it or not, I am in Alexandria, VA and I have seen fox, deer, coyote, and raccoons in my neighborhood. I used to drive injured wildlife found by the public to wildlife rehabilitators and have transported everything from birds to turtles!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Someone told me ground hogs make good pets too. Now they would be good bottle diggers if properly trained. For the record possums do NOT make good pets.

Bluebelle

Reaction score
What a beautiful animal! I'm so impressed not only with your kindness in rescuing and raising them, but what a wonderful job you did!!!! Blessings to you!

Bottleman

Reaction score
Sorry. I guess that was a little inappropriate of me to post that picture. I took it off.
Anyways, that’s a nice looking coon Jeff.

~~Tom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter