Crude Triangular Jar with Pontil & Tooled Rim Ancient or Just Old?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Pietro

Reaction score
I found this wide mouth triangular shaped jar at an estate sale. It looks like the oldest and crudest bottle by far that I have ever found in the last 50+ years of digging and looking. I recently found a pre-Columbian stone Olmec face pendant that dates to around 1500-2500 years old so it is still possible to find ancient things today. Could this date back to Roman times or is it from the colonial period? Or is it just old like around 150 - 200 years?
Description: approx. 4" tall x 3" x 3". Glass is very thick with angled ridges around the bottom portion. The top edges of the rim have strange surfaces that look done by hand, not ground down, to smooth the surface. Nice crude open pontil on bottom. I know bottles were still very crude and primitive up to the late 1800's so maybe this is not that old. Comments or suggestions pointing me to possible answers or other examples are most welcome. Thank you all for looking.
Consolidated Glass--Catalonian line--made in a 4, 6, and 10 inch size. Various colors--this one is amethyst. Model #1103. Was introduced 1927--not sure how long it was in production

Semar

Reaction score
Made during the Brutalist art movement.
It looks like the edge was cut with shears and then paddled to smooth it out a bit.

Reactions: Roy

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
I've heard it said the Brutalists ought to be paddled. ;)

Reactions: Roy

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen