Crude Triangular Jar with Pontil & Tooled Rim Ancient or Just Old?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Moshe Mayim

Reaction score
You certainly have my curiosity going...
I spent quite a while looking online for anything even slightly similar to that piece of yours and I find nothing at all like it. Maybe its one of a kind.
I hope someone can identify it.
Nice piece.
Roy
Thanks Roy for getting involved with your time trying to figure it out. I myself do that a lot when someone posts a mysterious object. Once in awhile I am able to solve it which is very satisfying and I am a good researcher because I sell on ebay now for 23 years but this bottle still eludes me. When you hold it in your hands in person, it is a strange bottle and looks ancient. I have found nothing after long searches using every descriptive word I could think of. Take care, mark

Reactions: Roy

Moshe Mayim

Reaction score
A smaller chance but perhaps an early battery jar. They can be crude looking too.
..Hey Roy, I didn't know the Olmecs made it to greater Waterbury. ;) As Lisa from the Simpsons used to say, "Toltecs, not Olmecs." --CONGRATS ON YOUR FINDS. :cool:
I saw you mentioned the Olmecs, this is the stone mask I found last summer at a yard for $1 and it probably dates to 1500-2500 years old.

Attachments

• 20230119_164733.jpg
    20230119_164733.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230119_165012.jpg
    20230119_165012.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230119_165523.jpg
    20230119_165523.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230119_165653.jpg
    20230119_165653.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 64

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Nice mask. (Now we all know where the phrase "Old stone face" might have come from. ;) ) The masks usually were for a ceremonial purpose. This guy may have been a guard to the underworld by the stern look he has, but, who knows? One thing, he certainly isn't Olmec and neither is that temple. The stone he is made from may be more telling. Might be a marble type like alabaster, with some jadeite veins. [Putting him in front of a famous Central American edifice not from his neck of the woods is well intended but nah.] Couldn't help but notice the changing color in your 4 pics too. Interesting. So are the eye slits. They don't look hand worked but rather made in one movement, possibly by machine. ..All in all you got more than your money's worth and a story to tell. I'd go to your local college and see an ancient history prof for verification and more details. Good luck. BTW, a belated welcome to our online club.:)

quailman

Reaction score
Pretty sure this is triangle vase made by the Consolidated Glass Company in a pattern they called "Catalonian". It was advertised as a reproduction of "Old Spanish Glass". Consolidated made a variety of pieces in this pattern from 1927 through the 1940s. Also, a variety of colors, including a "soft amethyst".

Moshe Mayim

Reaction score
WOW! That is so helpful. It is great how we help each other online, the best of times and the worst of times. That has to be it. thanks.

Moshe Mayim

Reaction score
Nice mask. (Now we all know where the phrase "Old stone face" might have come from. ;) ) The masks usually were for a ceremonial purpose. This guy may have been a guard to the underworld by the stern look he has, but, who knows? One thing, he certainly isn't Olmec and neither is that temple. The stone he is made from may be more telling. Might be a marble type like alabaster, with some jadeite veins. [Putting him in front of a famous Central American edifice not from his neck of the woods is well intended but nah.] Couldn't help but notice the changing color in your 4 pics too. Interesting. So are the eye slits. They don't look hand worked but rather made in one movement, possibly by machine. ..All in all you got more than your money's worth and a story to tell. I'd go to your local college and see an ancient history prof for verification and more details. Good luck. BTW, a belated welcome to our online club.:)
Thanks for your imput. I saw a few with this coloring of stone when searching. I know 2 brothers were down in Mexico in the 1920's and were selling stone faces to tourists and telling them they found them when plowing fields. Usually the fakes were much bigger trying to be claimed to be funeral masks. The ones this size were supposed to be worn as pendants. This mask does have the same kind of grit in the cut away areas like I saw on the real ones. I like my story better than yours but you sound like you have the knowledge and I certainly don't in this field. :)

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
That's ok. I've been to Mexico a couple of times. The first time when I was about 9. One of the things that made an impression on me were the vendors selling sandals with soles made from an old car tire. The signs all read something like "..Guaranteed for 10,000 miles.":) --I like tag sales myself, too. Good ole Mom planted the seed. They are kind of like Mel Brooks' Hist. Of The World Part I, the Roman market scene-"Columns! Get Your Columns! We got Doric. We got Ionian. We got Corinthian." They're just another kind of but different cuts of stone.;) Keep up your interest in ancient artifacts :cool: . ..Thanks Mom.:)

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen