Cutting the sod

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Walker1200

Reaction score
When cutting the top layer of a privy, I've seen some folks try to keep a large square area of lawn in tact, which is something id like to do. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to neatly cut and remove that section of lawn? And how thick does that need to be?

Cheers!

-Kerry

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
When cutting the top layer of a privy, I've seen some folks try to keep a large square area of lawn in tact, which is something id like to do. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to neatly cut and remove that section of lawn? And how thick does that need to be?

Cheers!

-Kerry
I cut the grass into 1 foot wide strips and use a flat pick to get under the roots. Do this as you roll the grass like a burrito. Keep them out of the sun and wet if it is super hot out. It is really easy once you get it going. Some use a flat shovel. Hope this helps.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Sod grass is easier than natural seed grass to remove and roll up. The roots hold everything together. Thin grass is not worth trying.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
I Cut by about 1 foot by 1 foot squares. you can then lay these squares in order & return to the proper spot in order if you wanta be more precice but
HolePicfromTom.png
my digging partner will usually throw any square sod anywhere regardless of where it came from.

Walker1200

Reaction score
Good info, and thank you for the visual. All of this info helps!

-Kerry

Walker1200

Reaction score
Oh man that's a beauty!

You're not anywhere near upstate NY are you? Would be fun to join an experienced digger on a dig. =)

-Kerry

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide