Dangerous Chemicals?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JakePhelps

Reaction score
I was grinding some sun-colored amythyst bottle fragments yesterday because they were sharp and i wanted to put them on display in my room without anyone getting cut on em, when i was grinding them with a small bit on a dremel tool (the bit made for grinding glass) I noticed alot of dust coming off the bottle, is this hazardous to breath in or get on your skin? What kind of chemicals are in old glass?

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Glass is made of silica and lime. Impurities can produce different colors. Prolonged breathing of the dust could cause silicosis a lung desease common to undergroung miners. The dust probably will not harm your skin but I would not recommend breathing any of the dust. Grind in well ventilated area or maybe near a vacuum cleaner nozzle to help keep dust down. Be careful.

Cliff

IRISH

Reaction score
Jake, if you keep a trickle of water on the item while you grind it it will stop the dust and your dremel bit will live a lot longer.
Apart from the dust hazard any toxic chemicals that may be in a glass sample are not a problem due to the very low solubility and reactivity of the glass used in bottles.

JakePhelps

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! I tried the water and vacume and it works alot better for keeping the dust down[:D] As for the dremel bits im not worried as they are just cheap little silicon carbide bits that still last awhile.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers