Decanter w/ornate stopper

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lifeisgood81

Reaction score
I need help identifying this bottle. Not sure if the three pieces go together or not. The collar is silver and has silver marks, the stopper is hand tooled pewter. I collect marbles as well as bottles, so this decanter is the best of both worlds. The marble inside the stopper is a handmade marble made some time in the 1800's.

Lisa

Ec88045.jpg

Attachments

• Ec88045.jpg
    Ec88045.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 56

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Lisa,
Your stopper looks like an early airlock used in making wine,though I've never seen one in pewter.Under the marble,where the bung fits into the bottle mouth,is it a hollow tube?If it is,I'd say you have an airlock.The marble would allow CO2 to escape from the fermentation process and theoreticly prevent air getting into the bottle turning the wine into vinegar.Of course,if it's not hollow I can only tell you that you have a most unusual stopper![:D]Can't tell anything about the decanter,I'm afraid.

Hope this helps,

KAT

David E

Reaction score
Not sure but it is almost the same as a decanter that is separted inside, and believe that one is French, forgot what it is called. The silver smith's marks will tell you country, which may not be the same. I have a silver clock with English marks (Scot Smith 1800"s) but the clock is French movement. Hope that helps

Dave

lifeisgood81

Reaction score
The tube is hollow. The silver collar does have silver marks. I researched and it lead me to a English silver company. The stoper has no marks. The decanter is called a pinch decanter. The airlock clue really sounds like a good clue. Thanks guys!!

lisa

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4