Deep Privies

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kleinkaliber

Reaction score
Cannibals recent post got me to thinkin'. What's the deepest privy someone has dug. What parts of the country are known to have the deeeeeep privies. I've heard of 30 footers in places like NY. What have you seen, heard of, or hope to never (or really want to) find yourself at the bottom of?

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I dug with some help, a 6 x 12 x 12 in Sacramento 1964 in sandy loam into clay, wood liner in the sandy loam nothing in the clay......Andy

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I've heard of deep (30' plus) privies in Philly, and maybe Cincinnati. A lot of times the diggers had to stop digging because it just got too dangerous.

kleinkaliber

Reaction score
RIBottleguy said:
I've heard of deep (30' plus) privies in Philly, and maybe Cincinnati. A lot of times the diggers had to stop digging because it just got too dangerous.
Being 10 feet down gets spooky, I can't imagine how it must feel to look up from the bottom of a 30 footer. Then again, I've seen photos of what they find in those deep, east coast privies.

hemihampton

Reaction score
The only 30 foot holes I've seen here in Michigan were Wells. LEON.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Dug a 14 footer in rural north Louisiana. That's deep for this area folks! Glass from top to bottom. Hole was round, about 4 ft across.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Deepest for me was a 22' stone lined well. Got all of 2 bottles for my efforts. One a sample bitters and a free blown pontiled wine. Deepest privy was a 15 footer brick lined and only about 2 1/2 foot square! So small I had trouble utilizing a 2' shovelette to fill the buckets, and had to stack those! Heard of a local guy digging in one that took a nearly 60 degree angle at 20 foot deep and he kept on going! Lost sight of skylight.........at about 25 foot deep! No thank you!

kleinkaliber

Reaction score
cannibalfromhannibal said:
Deepest privy was a 15 footer brick lined and only about 2 1/2 foot square! So small I had trouble utilizing a 2' shovelette to fill the buckets, and had to stack those! Heard of a local guy digging in one that took a nearly 60 degree angle at 20 foot deep and he kept on going! Lost sight of skylight.........at about 25 foot deep! No thank you!
Don't know that I'd even fit in a 2 1/2 foot wide hole. I'd have to go in head first! Hope the guy that dug the odd angled privy found something that made that one worthwhile.Years ago, a local construction site had exposed a very old, square, woodlined storm drain of some sort. About 3' square. Like a woodliner laying on its side. The end that had been exposed had been covered over for many, many years. No clue were it went, but shining a light in it revealed some glass. Shinnied my way in and got to the bottles. TOC slicks. Could see more stuff farther down. Whatever it was, it's still there. I'm not claustrophobic, but that situation was making my spidey senses tingle. Maybe in another 100 years someone else will get a chance.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal