DETROIT 9/29

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: baltbottles

We beat through a solid 6 foot thick layer of rusted steal filings and lathe millings thrown into a 5foot diameter brickliner. It took us 12 hours to get down 18 feet most of that was spent chipping through the rusted steal layer with a breaker bar and pick axe. This stuff looks to have been thrown in the pit about 1920 or so when they filled it in. We hit a clay cap under this layer with a little bit of use layer squishing up the side but the age wasn't that good 1910ish. But it eats the probe so hopefully it gets older by the bottom.

Chris
You should have got one of those GIANT magnets for lifting cars. It probably would've pulled out like a cork. [:D][:D]

sandchip

Reaction score
Can somebody post a picture of a breaker bar so's I can make or get me one?

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score

1ADFDC57B5104A30953ED314DF71690C.gif

Attachments

• 1ADFDC57B5104A30953ED314DF71690C.gif
    1ADFDC57B5104A30953ED314DF71690C.gif
    148.7 KB · Views: 87

yaledigger

Reaction score
i showed up kind of late yesterday and did something really stupid and i learned an HUGE lesson in the process. i went seaching in an old building next to where Tom and his boys were digging..well i went into a dark room and fell into a big hole in the floor full of water and hurt my ribs real bad. what a dumb mistake, now i will not be able to dig for weeks now.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Yaledigger, sorry to hear that. Did you see Liberace's Piano in back of Building. Is this the one in Question.? LEON.

210BE4CC3C5E45BC9CCC98501F4B01D5.jpg

Attachments

• 210BE4CC3C5E45BC9CCC98501F4B01D5.jpg
    210BE4CC3C5E45BC9CCC98501F4B01D5.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 72

Plumbata

Reaction score
Interesting dig(s) and great pictures, keep them coming!

ORIGINAL: yaledigger

i went into a dark room and fell into a big hole in the floor full of water and hurt my ribs real bad.  what a dumb mistake, now i will not be able to dig for weeks now.

OUCH! That is pretty terrible. I've done a decent bit of urban exploring and have put myself in dangerous situations like that before. Some of the holes in the floor I've seen were so deep that you would be unable to escape if ya fell in. Once i climbed up to the top level of a chemical/grain elevator building only accessible by a rusted out external ladder. It was pretty scary then, and there's no way I'd do it again now. If the thing snapped off I would have fallen 80 feet onto dumped concrete rubble. No way you'd walk away from a fall like that. Also, in that top level was an open silo pit that descended below ground level. Couldn't see the bottom even with flashlights. Scary. That same day i ended up stepping on a nail (thankfully a clean fresh nail from a packing crate) which pierced the joint of the big toe on my right foot. Took ages to heal properly. Gotta be careful in places like that.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I almost fell in an elevator shaft once in an old abandon Mansion . It was a hunted mansion in Philadelphia. I was lucky to get out with my life.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Hope for your speedy recovery. Back in high school a buddy of mine fell through the main floor of an abandoned farmhouse. Two good things came of this: 1) he was okay because, for whatever bizarre reason of physics, the floor gave way evenly in a circle around him, so, not being pitched in any direction, he landed upright, 2) he landed in a basement lined with shelves loaded with fruit jars, including a Beaver midget (facing right), a couple of Burlington quarts, and around 200 Crowns of varying sizes. I think he and I probably got more injured from loading up the car with these treasures.

historyhunter

Reaction score
Better luck next time! Don is the man with the beautiful Holly and Fenton stuff if I recall.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy Collie