Diablo Salsa? Sacramento?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
IMG_4077.jpgIMG_4078.jpgDug this bottle in Texas this past weekend and can find nothing about it. Embossed on alternating panels around the neck "Diablo" then "Salsa" then "Diablo" and so forth. Very late tooled lip...I suspect this dates from 1910-1915. Looks to me like it must have been a Tabasco competitor of some kind...I understand that the Pioneer Pickle Factory in Sacramento started selling Bergman's Diablo Pepper Sauce around 1900 but I don't know if this is the same stuff. Anyone ever seen one of these?

Lordbud

Reaction score
Pacific Coast Glass Works bottles generally come out of the ground looking clean like this example. The "font" on the embossing doesn't look PCGW however. If only there was some other indication -- proprietor, city, anything...that was more forthcoming for an internet search. PCGW made tooled crowns/tooled lip bottles until the early 1920s. I did several internet searches (likely similar to your own) and found nothing of substance.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Yeah...part of the problem is there is too much modern information that floods the searches I run for this particular bottle. Most of these sauce bottles we find here in Texas came from Louisiana, but this was one I had never seen before and is also one of the fanciest ones I have seen.

truedigr

Reaction score
Brad said he has a bottle w/ label from Price Booker out of Houston that is called Diablo Relish. This could be another product by them.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
And maybe from Alaska too, true, or there were other plants.?
"River Falls, Ala.—The Price-Booker Manufacturing Co. has been incorporated with $100,000 capital stock, and will build a large plant for the manufacture of pickles, mustard, etc. J. E. Wright of Andalusia, Ala., is president of the company. The secretary is C. L. Huiter, of Houston, Tex." FROM

nhpharm

Reaction score
Price-Booker was located in Houston and San Antonio. I think the Ala. referenced above is Alabama, though I don't know that they had a plant there.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Very good lead-could certainly be something from Price-Booker for sure. I'll have to watch for some Price-Booker advertising and see if it links up. Thanks so much!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Sooo...8 years later I decided to revisit this mystery. All this time I had been searching for "Diablo Salsa". Apparently I should have been searching for "Salsa Diablo". Mystery solved....sold by Mitrovich Manufacturing in San Antonio. Advertised 1915-1917.

Attachments

• Salsa Diablo.jpg
    Salsa Diablo.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 23

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229