Diggers/Divers/Collectors advice:

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madpaddla

Reaction score
Hello all:

What do others do when they find these such bottles. (most are unembossed)

1. Kick up olive green large bottles (I have 5 and will find tons more)
2. Castoria bottles.
3. clear meds/aqua meds
4. mustards and ketchups (Frenches 1915/Columbia/ or the unembossed)(but super old)
5. sauce/olive (not color) jars. (super old but clear)
6. Dioxogen Oakland Chemical Company (brown medicine)

I understand that anything cobalt (olive/amber/etc) color people would buy even if it was from 2006. Ideas I have come across are sell in multiple lots, all for one sale, ebay, etc. And to be honest I have done of those.

But the current dig is 1920 - before and come home with a backpack full of just embossed everyday. I'm starting to leave most of the above listed b/c there is no way I could dig this dump in a lifetime. Nevermind sifting. GRR

Everyones insight is valued. If someone is interested in about 100 of the above listed please message me. Not interested in making my first million, just lovin the glass.

Madpaddla

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
This is what I do...

I take home alot more than most diggers. I have a great collection dug pontils at home , but but when I dig a turn of the century dump, I bring it all home anyways, especially if it is a "clean" dump, where the glass isn't sick, usually a wet, black dirt, or pine needly dump.
I spend these cold winter nights washing these common bottles. I pack them into milk crates, and store them in my basement ( this only works if you have the ample space in the corner of the basement.
Then, for those of you coming to the New England Bottle show in Somersworth NH on April 2nd, you will see how I sell these bottles. I will have them outdoors, under the pavilion of the function hall. I lay them out on 8 foot tables, maybe 500 or so bottles, with a sign that says " 100 year old bottles, $3 each or 6 for $10." Collectors dont have much interest, but the general public that comes to the show love it. You'd be surprised how quickly you can sell $300 or $400 worth, as long as you have a good crowd. And the 6 for $10 people get a bargain too..
Then I go back into the show with my $300 and buy a hell of a flask for my collection. Another great place to sell the common stuff is to set up at town outdoor festivals, or craft fairs, if they are well attended.
It makes digging more fun for me, when I can justify to my wife bringing home a basket full of Noxemas and extract bottles from digging.

Thats the way I do it! Have fun..
bram

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
i used to do the same exact thing to flea market folk here in the city. my sheds walls are buckled now because the local flea market closed due to "insurance reasons". ive made lots on ebay at one point in time, but i think i flooded the market.

oh do i miss that flea market. 2500 bucks on a sunday. sigh.

i met my diggin buddy george there. he had tons of "common bottles" he also sold cobalt blue BIMAL local meds for five bucks a pop. that was 4 or 5 years ago though. dumb@$$. cough cough.

Ig12571.gif

Attachments

• Ig12571.gif
    Ig12571.gif
    78.9 KB · Views: 53

madman

Reaction score
yo mad those are common, keep a couple of each and backfill the rest, there are some commons i always keep like bromos and caldwells or the odd one unembossed or wierd color have fun best of luck mike

madpaddla

Reaction score
Thanks madman - Guntherhess - Philabottle - Downeastdigger -

Great ideas. Waiting for spring to get the flea market crowd. Thaks for responces.

Madpaddla

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem