diggin with power tools

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

trussin

Reaction score
OK about a month ago I described a technique of diggin that always brings nay sayers. Next weekend I plan on hitting my favorite site in Central NJ for pontil bottles. I'll bring my camera and my Gas Powered Auger. Believe your eyes ...thats right auger. I explained once that for what ever reason the bottles dont break like I know everyone is going to say. I still dont have the software to load the pictures but I have a friend that has the same camera and as quickly as I can see him I will post the pictures showing step by step how its done. I swear the bottles just pop out of the ground. No probe, no small shovels and no being careful. Just pontil bottles littering every hole we dig. I asked before if anyone wanted to dig this very old (Hundreds of years old) bottle dump with no takers. Now the offer is closed and you will be amazed at this seemingly distructive technique that literally hasnt broken one under quart sized bottle or under yet...not one. This will be the one and only demonstration so save it and amaze your friends...oh and always think out side of the box. Sincerely, Joe B

trussin

Reaction score
Hey Swiz, I'm counting on pics not pieces. Hope the hurricane coming up the coast doesnt delay me. The dump is on the outskirts of a three hundred year old town. Almost nothing but bottles.

trussin

Reaction score
So far me and a couple of friends have dug about a thousand bottle out of this dump. Nearly all pontil. Meds,sodas,on top - biters and a few poisons. I also dug two Aqua Washington Taylor flasks with tapered tops. The site is about two acres. Weve dug there for the last twenty years with seemingly no end in site.

diggerjeff

Reaction score
what size auger bit do you use? how many extensions ? this sounds too good to be true.
im sure some break! how about puffs , how does a real thin bottle like that hold up?does your camera take mpeg videos? i would like to see this in motion!!

IRISH

Reaction score
You would miss quite a bit of tip wouldn't you ? it's bad enough digging 4x6 foot holes side by side and still missing the odd bit of tip. It certainly sounds like every bit of your tip deserves to get dug [:D] .

trussin

Reaction score
I use the largest two man auger I own. The site is full of bottles. The auger is my probe. I still shovel if I get into the mother load. So far not one broken bottle. My last time out a Sands pontil popped out. The lip on that one is extra thin and flat. The camera can do about anything. I just cant figure it out or I would a had a ton of photos up by now. Soon though I promise. Joe B

I know it sounds crazy.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty