Digging at the Whitall Tatum factory?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

makes a very common bottle seem pretty cool.

my thoughts exactly Matt, figured if I was gonna own a hicks it would be this one... I do seem to remember the guy telling me he had seen more of these made from the hicks mold than any other though!

carobran

Reaction score
Did they do this with all types of bottles everytime before they started production?

tigue710

Reaction score
Carobran, this would have done with all molds in the glass houses that did it... Im sure there are a lot of factors we do not understand, like if it was only done in winter, when production first started for a certain mold, etc... It most likely did not become a regular practice until around the turn of the century when we see whittle disappear...

carobran

Reaction score
Do you know if they did it on hutches?I imagine a solid hutch would be quite a sight(and quite heavy[&:]).

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
It seems like they must have started doing it pretty regularly in the last quarter of the 19th century. Certainly standard practice by the 1890s.
I dont think winter/summer was a factor considering the glass is probably >1000degsF.
I expect they did it with all types of bottles, as I said I have seen fruit jar mold warmers.

I am kind of wondering how they got that much glass into the mold. They must of grabbed a big gather and just let it drip into the mold. Doesnt quite look like that from the final form though. The found peices are probably busted up a little so we might not be seeing exactly what it looked like taken out of the mold.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Holy crap, that solid bottle is amazing! It would be so cool to see a solid blob, or as carbo said, a hutch.

I can't believe I haven't seen more like that, if they were used in every glass house. Do you think there aren't many left because they were tossed back into the pot to make cullet?

tigue710

Reaction score
they probably did toss em back, and because the glass was not annealed most of the stuff that was tossed on the heap broke up quick I would suppose. Most glass house dumps were actually cullet piles that were eventually thrown back in the pot, so the stuff that survived is few and far between, likely what was left when production ceased...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583