Digging Buddy Earns His Stripes

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
A few days ago I went digging with my friend Mike, who has been collecting bottles for about a year now. He's slowly learned what bottles are good and which ones are junkers, and his collection is shaping up nicely. We decided to check out a few cellar holes along an old dirt road. My Subaru barely made it past some of the potholes, but it survived. After scoping out one cellar hole, we found one right on the road that a friend of mine had dug. There was a nice dump right on the road in front of the cellar, which of course was a pile of rocks. There were quite a few broken pontils and fragments up to the 1880s. I dug into it and found a broken olive amber umbrella ink, which I swear is a Stoddard piece. Mike wasn't very fond of the broken pieces and tailing piles my friend left behind. I suggested he dig the outbuilding foundation across the road. It was made of beautiful cut stone.

Shortly after that he calls me over. He's holding a broken Paine's Celery Compound. I was surprised, and while it was common, was much more intact than the shards I was finding. The foundation was shallow, and we only dug down about half a foot into pine needles. Suddenly he hits another bottle, and this one looks whole! He brushes the dirt away uncovering an amber square. I'm pretty sure it's a Hostetters, but there is something exciting about it. I gingerly removed a stone from where the lip was, and fortunately it was still attached. He let me pull it out, and as I handed it to him, my jaw dropped slightly. It was an A.M. Bininger whiskey! It easily rivaled the best bottles I had ever dug.
Needless to saw we were both elated (though he slightly more than I). Another hour of digging failed to produce anything else (I did find more nice shards though).

Looking it up online I couldn't find an example like this one. All the listed ones have the address on the front. This one doesn't. I also noted there were three slugplates on three sides of the bottle. New York is in a slugplate (so the address was removed), one side has a long blank slugplate, and one side has a short blank slugplate. It was pretty easy to gather that this was an Old London Dock Gin (Gin being the small slugplate). Has anyone heard of this example before?

8120738617_ff356c592d_z.jpg

New York in slugplate
8120754726_902c6d8813_z.jpg

Long blank slugplate
8120754788_b09a1a34c5_z.jpg

tigue710

Reaction score
I do not recall seeing that one before, sweet dig!!! In a cellar hole too, I love digging out in the woods somewhere...

epackage

Reaction score
Nice bottle, it's a guess but I'm thinking this was meant to accept a 3 paneled paper label therefore they didn't add the other embossing?? Best I got...LOL[;)]

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Jim, I'm pretty sure the ghosted embossing read "Paterson, N.J." from his brief stint there. [;)]

idigjars

Reaction score
Very cool find. It's always a thrill finding an addition to your collection. Congrats! Paul :)

sandchip

Reaction score
I don't remember seeing one without serifed letters either. That would be a fantastic find for even a veteran collector. Keating would probably be the man to ask about it. Beautiful bottle!

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RIBottleguy

Jim, I'm pretty sure the ghosted embossing read "Paterson, N.J." from his brief stint there. [;)]
You know the rules, he has to send it to me for a two year personal inspection, after that time I'll send him monthly pictures and updates just like when you Sponsor a child in the Sudan!!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen