Digging early 1800's plantation

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

crozet86

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently received permission to dig a plantation that was built in 1812.The owner
of it now has been able to show me 4 foundations to slave quarters nearby the main house. I have also found 3 privys that already show pontiled pieces only 12" deep as
i only started test holes to be sure they were privys. Im very excited as this is my by far oldest dig. This lady has been very helpful to me furnishing photos and info on the site that date back before 1900. This place changed names in 1906 so it is kind of hard to research it any further but believe me im going to search every inch as best i can.
Does anybody have any suggestions on the best way to make a sifter for the dirt as i dig it?If so i would really appreciate it. Im headed there tomorrow so i hope to be able to post some finds soon.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Crozet, talk about a wonderful opportunity! I made a sifter/screener using the center aluminum base frame of an old ping pong table and some 'chicken' wire. The base works great because it's very light and portable and even has wheels! You can make a simple screener on site using any type of frame to hold the wire, that allows you to shake the soil through it.

olddump

Reaction score
Yeah. I'll bring mine and meet you there[:D] good digging Tom

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler