Digging in NH(looking for advice)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hayes

Reaction score
Hi All, Being the new digger that I am I have a few Q's. I have a couple of sites in the woods behind my house that have a lot of broken bottles on the surface, I have found a few ok bottles.. IE vaseline,cali fig,gen medicine etc, but most of it is all junk/garb and some 40/50's looking stuff. my question is if it's worth looking deeper (the stuff that i did find was just sifting over the top) there is also a marshy pond and i was thinking about bring my pool net over to see if i could fish anything out. There is an old railroad bed behind there that's cica 1800's so i do know that the area got some action back in the day. now remember that Im new at this, Im a girl and I dont have anybody to go with me that knows what they are doing! any advice for me?? ;) thanks

diggerjeff

Reaction score
dig a few test holes in the area,and see if it gets older as you get deeper!! that is how i would handle it if i did not have a probe. every digger needs a probe, they cost under 30.dollars and will pay for themselves in a short time.

Hayes

Reaction score
RE: Digging in NH (attn Woody)

I went back to one of my spots today, I dont have any tools besides a handheld garden rake but I just wanted to get a feel for what might be there. I found the top half to a old blob top from a local co "P.Harrington sons,Manchester,nh" and in my research I found that Woody found the same bottle last year, in his post he said it was trademark 1814. so i guess my sites are worth getting the gear and digging digging digging!

woody

Reaction score
Sounds like you're right in the right era, Laura.
If your dump is on an embankment I would start at the bottom and work my way up.
Make sure you wear good leather gloves and boots, as not to get cut by broken glass, and by all means wear your bug repellant. There have been cases of EEE here in NH and it shouldn't be taken lightly.
Eye protection helps, also.
Use common sense and you won't get sliced by broken glass.
Safety first.
Also, look for other areas where they may have dumped.
Alot of times I'll find more than one dump of different eras on the same property.

Hayes

Reaction score
Thanks Woody, your right about the bugs for sure! I've only gone out there twice since spring, i had 2 dif types of repel on me and I was being ambushed. now that the weather is a little cooler Im going to get my Sh*t together and get serious. the place i found the broken blob was down a embankment, it has a lot of older screw top bottles and broken pottery on the surface. I can feel soft ground and broken glass with every step in one area, i just have to get the right gear. Thanks again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday