Digging in the yard

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

snapshot

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been collecting different bottles and "things" that I find or dig up for years. This summer I started digging My side yard, (where there was once a house). It must have burned down soon after it was built ( 1885?) since no one can recall a house ever being there. anyway here is a picture of a few things that were buried beneath the fireplace area, beer bottles, consumption cure, extracts, a flask and a big stoneware thng.
Thanks for looking!

Pm34958.jpg

Attachments

• Pm34958.jpg
    Pm34958.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 85

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Snapshot, welcome to the forum! Nice bottles you dug up there. Let us know what else you come up with[:D] I envy you guys that have a great potential dig site right on your own property! Happy Diggin, Kelley

snapshot

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I've really been enjoying the "treasure hunt" going on in my yard this summer. Too bad that most of the bottles I've found are broken or melted. Actually, the one thing I'd really love to find is that proverbial mason jar full of gold coins!!! Anyway, my dog seems to have a knack for uncovering bottles... this one, (the second one so far) popped up in a place where he likes to wipe his feet. Now I guess I'll have to dig up that part of the yard too!

Tr49546.jpg

Attachments

• Tr49546.jpg
    Tr49546.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 91

olddump

Reaction score
The jug is really nice and what does the beer bottle have on it? I live in a 155 year old house but am afriad to start on the yard I might not be able to stop[:D] I know there's privies in ALL these yards. It takes a lot of restaint and no one will let me anyhow[:eek:] O.K. guys good luck. Tom, Olddump

snapshot

Reaction score
Hi Tom, I like the jug too, too bad it was broken and burned. I only glued it back together to see what it looked like. The beer bottle in the pic is marked;
THE HERANCOURT
BREWING CO.
CINCINNATI O.
UNION MADE
I have a few others marked:
SCHALLER
CIN.O.
It's actually pretty easy not to dig in my yard. The people who lived here years ago threw every bit of trash in the yard, or so it seems... I can't stick a shovel in the ground anywhere without hearing a crunching noise, either glass or coal and then there's the rocks, bricks, tree roots and just plain junk... oh well!

leebran20

Reaction score
My goodness, snapshot, that is one of the most pleasant sounds in the world to me. I consider you very lucky to be able to step outside and dig when you please. I would be digging in every spare moment I had.

Went to a house today with my partner just to check it out for five minutes or so because he's doing a job estimate for a structure on the property. One of the oldest private homes still around in Hawaii and right near summer home of one of our past kings; I would say easily around 1860s with a clearly defined well that has been filled in with boulders at the top, stone walls of what appears to be a two-seater visible, and black and other types of very old broken glass strewn here and there. All we did was walk around, but I could feel the bottles beneath my feet, and blissfully dreamed that I lived there so I could dig it immediately. Instead, I will not wait anxiously but just pray that we may get the surprise of a permission.

Take care.

snapshot

Reaction score
OK... I know I'm being a big cry baby... sorry guys! I just hate it when I think I might have just smashed one of the few whole bottles out there. Good luck getting permission Brandon!
snapshot - Sherry

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28