Digging question?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

craigc90

Reaction score
I have a dump 1/2 mile from the house to myself dig when I have the time and go to other places when I feel like it. There are those bottles you seem to find by the bucket full I leave at the dump. This week end I left 2 jumbo peanut butter jars 4 or 5 Ball fruit jars 3 Dr Caldwells a stove polish and enough blue bromos and milk of magnesias to fill a 5 gallon bucket and hundreds of unembossed meds and sodas. Am I the only one leaving these? Should I keep them and try to sell them by the box full?The dump is about 12 feet deep and I have to dig down about 6 feet to break through the 1900's stuff befor you get to the good stuff it seems a shame to leave them there due to the amount of effort it takes for me to dig them.What does everyone else do with the real common stuff?

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Go back and get those jumbos, those bad boys can fetch some dollars if they are a rare size. Even the most common 1 pounder is worth $5.00.

capsoda

Reaction score
You can sell any cobalt blue bottle for a buck at the flea market. 100 bottles = 100 bucks. Larger sizes for more. I always get 3 to 10 bucks for the one pound Jumbos. The common fruit jars will sell if priced low enough.

There are alot of noncollectors that will buy those 3 perticular bottles.

Let me know what different sayings you find on the bottoms and let me know if you find the Jubmo error bottle too. It's not worth any more but not as common where I'm from as some of the others.

craigc90

Reaction score
Bryan if you ever get down this way you can have them Jumbo's. I have dug 15 of the 1 pounders in this same dump and 1 of the 10 ounce and 3 smaller I think 4and1/2 and 5 ouncers. I am going to start bringing home a box full of the cobalt bottles and saving them I might try and set up at the flea market this summer.

craigc90

Reaction score
Capsoda I put a box full of Jumbo's in the attic about 2 months ago I have around 20 of them. I dont have the error jar and I have never seen one yet I will have to watch a little closer from now on.

CJCrystalmines

Reaction score
I've started bringing everything home, even the common stuff.
I use to leave it, until I learned it is worth something to someone. Just a matter of time.
I was at the antique shops the other day, and common stuff from the 50's (ketchup bottles) was selling for about the same as the old stuff.
Speaking of time, it won't be long and all the common stuff want be so common anymore. I don't want to have to go back and redig. Not to mention, if I'll remember where everything is.

craigc90

Reaction score
I had a little time after work today and went to the dump and grabbed a handfull of the stuff I leave next to the dump here it is.

Nl29690.jpg

Attachments

• Nl29690.jpg
    Nl29690.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 78

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Craig, my wife dug one of those giraffe bottles. Those refridgerator water bottles bring $25 to $30. Amber is an odd color for one.

reptilekeeper

Reaction score
Craig, I work for a zoo and would love to buy one off them giraffe bottles for the giraffe keepers. They are always teaseing me about digging this may make them appreciate the hobby a bit more.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski