Digging up ACL bottles Problem, Expiring Labels

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Leep1660

Reaction score
I'm posting this just because I've noticed with digging in bottle dumps in ontario for 15 years or so I've noticed that most of the ACL bottle labels I've found the ground I say the past 2 years are faded or wipe of barely recognizable across most the dumps where I found bottles. When I started bottle digging as a hobby, I would pull out clear legable ACL Bottles all the time out the ground but these days it seems that the label material has expired on most the 50's bottles (roughly 70 years). I know this only matters on the region your from in the world like if u have winter or how dry or wet the dump site yearly can be factors but where I live in simcoe county, Ontario, Canada where we have winter, It seems the thick acl graphics that are intact just wipe away when u get to clean the bottle for the first time :( . Any experiences with this problem or something similar, please share :)

hemihampton

Reaction score
reading my post here might help. LEON

Newtothiss

Reaction score
I've found it to be very hit and miss. I don't know much as I'm super new, but I imagine it has to do with ACL quality and soil conditions.

Leep1660

Reaction score
reading my post here might help. LEON

Thanks that's helpful I'll let my acl I dig up this year sit for a few months before washing, just the labels are so fragile when they come out the ground

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
The best way to find ACL bottles from that era is when miracles happen, for example finding the bottle hidden underneath some kind of rubble or item where it could not get wet. I have a few ACL bottles where you can't even tell they were ever in the ground.

hemihampton

Reaction score
The worst case scenario for these is when you pull them from the Ground & the Dirt is Wet &/or it has Wet Dirt or Mud on the Bottle/Label. This is when it's most at Risk of removing the ACL. LEON.

Leep1660

Reaction score
The worst case scenario for these is when you pull them from the Ground & the Dirt is Wet &/or it has Wet Dirt or Mud on the Bottle/Label. This is when it's most at Risk of removing the ACL. LEON.
Exactly, a lot of dumps are on the marshy bog part of the property ( or the less used part of the lot) so usually the bottles become caked in lots of dirt/ clay/mud :(

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado