Digging with a tripod setup

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pa digger

Reaction score
I have herd of diggers using a tripod type of setup, and i would like to do the same. Can anyone list some pics of their setup and how they go about using this type of set up? Does the guy that is in the privy pull the rope to raise the bucket up or does the guy outside do this. The reason i ask is that all of the pictures that i have seen show the tripod placed over the center of the privy. I would think that it would be rather tuff for the guy up top to get easy access to the bucket if it is done this way. Most of the privy that i dig are 4x6 or 6x6.

Later PA Digger

Bottleman

Reaction score
The tripod is centered over the middle of the privy and the man above ground is the one that pulls the rope. The person above ground reaches over the hole to grab the bucket and then dumps it. Here is a link to an older post that shows a picture of a well built tripod.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m_79916/mpage_1/key_tripod/tm.htm

~~Tom

richf

Reaction score
Hi there,
You will travel a 100-mile radius from, where?
Tripods work well, but I've used them on only several occasions. Have to get one of my own one of these days! They do make the job much easier, as long as you're not alone!!!!
Rich

pa digger

Reaction score
Rich: I live in the Allentown area and do most of my digging in these areas Easton, Port carbon, Minersville, Ashland, St Clair, Pottsville, Reading. I am always looking for old places to dig. My main interest are Pa colord soda/mineral waters.

richf

Reaction score
Hi PA,
There used to be lots of good digging in the Allentown area and I've been wanting to get back to a dump I found several years ago.
The coal region still has some decent places and you should put Centralia on your list ... lots of untouched outhouses left there. Let me know if you ever want to go!
This snow is downright depressing .... waiting for spring!
Rich

JGUIS

Reaction score
I have yet to use one, but have checked on making one for wells and cisterns. I'm going with a tripod usually used for pulling engines out of cars, but is made from steel gas line which can be found laying near any oil well around here. A triangle plate has pipe pieces welded to the points of the triangle that the ID matches the OD of the legs. An eyebolt in the center of the triangle plate holds the pulley, and pins lock the legs into the top. I have seen them with lengths of chain attatched between the legs to keep them from spreading too far, but if the correct feet were made for the legs, you shouldn't need them. And yes you want the man in the hole pulling the rope, unless you want everything falling on your head. A tripod relys on some sort of center of gravity, too far off center and[:mad:][:eek:][:-][&:][:(]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960