Dirt-Solvent

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mainer1

Reaction score
Hit it early yesterday morning for an hour tops.
When I left the house it was about 65 degrees about an hour an a half later it was midway through the 80s and rising
Seeing that we are no longer under the trees that grow out of the bank I decided to cut it short with these two and a couple slics.
I have a feeling our time is short for this dump, you can see the terrain changing and we are close to the edge of the good looking dirt
But its still putting out decent bottles and I plan on staying on the ride till it shuts down
The ANDREW PRESTONS FAMILY MEDICINES PORTSMOUTH NH is one I dont have
And I have never heard of DIRT-SOLVENT THE PIPER MFG CO PORTLAND ME
Thanks for looking

7A9E604E5C734916B885C66A48BBC2AD.jpg

Attachments

• 7A9E604E5C734916B885C66A48BBC2AD.jpg
    7A9E604E5C734916B885C66A48BBC2AD.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 70

Baydog51

Reaction score
I bet the inside of that bottle is clean[:D].

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Good digs!
At first glance, I thought I read "Port Monmouth NJ" on the med, and was gonna tell you to name your price.. lucky for me, I looked closer, with both eyes.. [;)]

tftfan

Reaction score
Nice stuff, keep digg'n and more pics please.

mainedigger

Reaction score
Great Preston's! I've had the rectangular aqua one, but have never seen that one! Nice dig!

mainer1

Reaction score
Mainedigger
Where you digging to get Ports meds
I'm out of South Berwick

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Gary,

Thanks for the post dig wrap up. Real nice to pull two never before dug guys! There was, apparently 2 firms bottling "Dirt-Solvent" in Portland; Piper and E.E. Clifford. Is there some kinda Portland bottling mystery about to unfold? There's a Piper Mfg. Co. model currently on that e-place.

Here's the Clifford model
1_ccb5e9875cea85a8db30570839432ae7.jpg
with the legend, "DIRT - SOLVENT E. E. CLIFFORD & CO. PORTLAND, ME." The seller said, "You don't find these often,
even right on top of their hometown.
AND, when you do, they are usually stained right up,
as I believe this product had ammonia in it.
This one beat the odds,
a sweet and sparkling specimen in MINT condition." From.

This pointed the way over to this:

"E.E. Clifford & Co........... Dirt Solvent..............212 Commercial......... 4 (Men).....4 (women)" From 1910 Bureau of Industrial & Labor Statistics.

and onward to this 1909 Maine Ag Experiment Station report. It shows Clifford's "English Spiced Fancy Mixed Pickles" as sold by Pomerlau & Huard of Augusta as "Alum. Misbranded." The "English Spiced Fancy Plain Pickles" as sold by N. Tetreault & Co, of Biddeford as having "Alum. Iron in excess Misbranded"
The "English Spiced Fancy Pickled Onions" offered by Whitcomb & Cannon of Waterville to be also "Alum Misbranded."

Here, the trail grows cold, for the nonce...

vlcsnap-105655.png

logueb

Reaction score
Two great bottles Gary. Hope the spot you're holds up for some more great finds. The heat down here has been terrible this summer. About 2 hours is all that I can take at a time digging down here. Hope you find and post some more.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28