Dirty Pool

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: madpaddla

A few years ago there was a member who would repair necks for folks. In no way am I implying it was them. But he explained that he would find a matching top and sand down the broken neck / matching top. Then apply them and smooth / sand / grind down both the neck and broken top so that it appeared close to original. He was a great member and was just imparting his knowledge of how to repair necks.

In the last photo you can see a dark circle which is on the inside of the bottle. That corresponding line matches with the horizontal "smoothing lines" on the outside. I have showed the bottle to other people and they believe the same. The body of the bottle appears all original but when you get to the lip it is noticeably smoother.

Not doubting your word, nor eye Ben...I've dabbled with repairs, resins, etc, and have attempted to repair a few of my own bottles, I have access to various grades of glass grinding and polishing belts at work, plus a wet grinder, and I have to say that excellent pics aside, It's hard for me to see where a repair was done...Gunth had the right idea with the blacklight...I've heard that's supposed to be a tattle tale way to see a repair. I hope it's not,...but if it's any consolation, here's our version of your bottle...[:D] Probe got it...

1662422091EE41DD8246ED050A7D4F4F.jpg

Attachments

• 1662422091EE41DD8246ED050A7D4F4F.jpg
    1662422091EE41DD8246ED050A7D4F4F.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 93

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Okay Ben,...After considering all info, especially Tigue's two cents...And scrutinizing the pics, although it seems unlikely, I have to agree that something was done, but for a lousy 20 bucks? Seems weird, but I suppose anything's possible...Went and looked at our probe injured speciman again, and even tried to snap a few pics, the multiple cracks and foil on the neck don't help...but In this pic I think I can see the altered area. Still, It does look like a tooled top, and ours is applied.

3F511A9660CA44C2A6E1B9BB47FF1949.jpg

Attachments

• 3F511A9660CA44C2A6E1B9BB47FF1949.jpg
    3F511A9660CA44C2A6E1B9BB47FF1949.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 75

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I don't see it or know how it was done, but if it's repaired it was certainly done well... I'd love to get in contact with someone as skilled as that. Bummer that you were fooled, though.

glass man

Reaction score
How is it known that it is a BUD bottle?Is it emboosed on the bottom or just common knowledge that is what it is?

I had a cobalt beer that was called "Liquid Bread" [I have seen one with the label ...they were not embossed] I gave 45 bucks for mine in the 90s..they go for 50 or so now.....ANY WAY COOL BOTTLE ...hope it is not a repair...JAMIE

probe buster

Reaction score
If you really want to make an attempt at confirming this bottle was repaired, place it upside-down in a similarly sized sealed container of acetone or MEK, covering the area of concern. These materials evaporate fast, thus the sealed container. You can check it daily, but give it at least a week for full or partial dissolving of any resin.

A black light may be helpful in finding repairs, but there are resins out there now that cannot be detected under a black light.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem