Disappointing first eBay buy

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Skycollect

Reaction score
Just bought my first bottle on eBay. Seller had a lot of feedback and a 100% rating. It's a tippecanoe bitters with no damage disclosed. I got it and it has two small flakes of glass missing. They are small, buy my eye trained at looking for damage on marbles for 20 years found them pretty easily. Was it wrong of me to request a refund? A bottle as common as this would loose a lot of value with 2 small chips right? It is a bottle with a lot going on so I am sure the seller just missed it. Hopefully I can get my money plus shipping both ways back. That is how I have always handled my sales.

Others thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Skyler

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
You did the correct thing. EBay is definitely set up for such occurrences especially using PayPal. Don't expect the seller to be happy and be sure to contact them through the eBay system prior to returning the item. And pay for tracking.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
matters how big the chips are.
1/4" 1/8" 1/16" 1/1000" ?
I always expect some minor level of wear in a 100 year old item.

having said that I always offer a no questions return on items for any reason. Its just good business.
I do make the buyer pay return shipping unless I make an error in item description.

Hunting4Blobs

Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the chips?

I would think it would vary depending on the severity.

Skycollect

Reaction score
Not good at photographing bottles yet

One chip is 1/8" one a tad larger. The chips shine and are definitely more than a deep scratch.

Hunting4Blobs

Reaction score
Ultimately I think it is up to you.

If it ruins the bottle for you, I would send it back. But if the bottle is over a hundred years old it would be hard to find one in near perfect condition anyway.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
One chip is 1/8" one a tad larger. The chips shine and are definitely more than a deep scratch.
I don't understand. Could they be open bubbles or other flaws from making?
I guess I'd need to see the list and pictures.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
even if it is an open bubble or other defect, at 1/8 inch it is significant, and should have been mentioned. The bottle in plain jane amber is very common, so any damage would reflect badly on the bottles value, I would return it, even if I had to pay return shipping.........

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how new or old the bottle is. Damage is damage and since it was not disclosed no matter how insignificant the damage the poor description is a breach of trust between seller and buyer and should be considered deceptive. You the Buyer paid for the bottle trusting the description was for an item in the condition listed in the auction. The seller did not hold up to their end of the negotiation therefore it is a invalid sale. PERIOD.

Way, way to often I have seen sellers get lazy on the description and photos. They would do themselves a favor in the long haul if they would take more time in this area. Selling on eBay is WORK. A lot of folks think eBay is easy money. Bull crap. It is work if it is done PROPERLY. Contact the seller and send the bottle back you held up your end of the transaction and the seller failed at theirs.

The following is the way I handle bottle sales (all sales) and I believe all sellers should handle transactions this way. If the the buyer is not happy with the item I sell they can send it back with no questions asked and I give a full refund no questions asked. That is the best way.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles