Does country of origin affect collectability?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glassy eyed

Reaction score
I have a Bottle from the t. milburn co . It is burdock blood bitters. It was made in Toronto , Ont. all these things are embossed on the bottle. In an 1998 edition of Kovel I found the Bottle listed at $70 US. Bottle in the book was from Rochester, NY, I think I'm doing this from memory maybe it was Buffalo . Irregardless My question is Is my Canadian bottle at par in value with the American bottle. I suppose its all in finding the collector willing to pay but in general does anyone have any ideas as to the effects on value of the manufacturing location.

David E

Reaction score
BURDOCK BLOOD BITTERS
FOSTER MILBURN & CO
BUFFALO N.Y.

Aqua 8 1/2"x2 3/4"x1 7/8"
also 9 1/4" high square varient
Varient embosed The T. Milburn Co.
Ltd.,Toronto, Ont.
Other varients ie, 4 1/8" high.

Dave

bearswede

Reaction score
Hi Guys...

My Kovels' '96 lists the amethyst colored, 8.5 inch Ontario bottle at $50.

The '99 Kovels' has the aqua Buffalo version with partial label at $28; the 8.25 inch Milburn Toronto, Ont. type at $85.

Digger Odell's book (1998) has a deep amber 8.25 inch Toronto version at $100.

I have the Buffalo version in aqua that I got on ebay a couple of years ago for $20...

Ron

glassy eyed

Reaction score
The one I have here seems to be clear 8 1/2 " . If it were amethyst would it be obvious or would it be an idea to put it in some sunlight to bring out the colour.

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey GE...

It would depend on how much exposure to the sun it has had previously... If it was dug or collected, how close to the surface it was... Or, if it's an "attic" bottle, whether it was kept in a window...

It appears that these bottles can have the color enhanced by exposure to nuclear radiation, a somewhat controversial treatment... (see the FHBC web page)...

I would suggest exposing it to the sun to check it out...

Ron

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583