Dora Cola...another knock off?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlingco

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of or know anything about this Dora Cola bottle from Dora, Alabama? I recently picked up some unusual bottles considering I am an ACL person. ~bottlingco

6CB2145B9915462EAF578733852199C1.jpg

Attachments

• 6CB2145B9915462EAF578733852199C1.jpg
    6CB2145B9915462EAF578733852199C1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 128

celerycola

Reaction score
Dora Cola was bottled in Dora, Alabama by Dora Bottling Works. The heel embossed bottle pictured is a dead ringer for Birmingham based Rye-Ola. The later, shoulder embossed Dora-Cola bottles are a bit harder to find. Dora-Cola may have been a knock-off of Rye-Ola or they may have had the Rye-Ola franchise and been permitted to localize the name. George Davis bought Dora Bottling Works around 1912 and continued to sell Dora-Cola. Davis owned the bottling works at nearby Brookside where he bottled a drink called Coca-Lula. In 1916 Davis acquired the Coca-Cola franchise and discontinued his other colas in favor of Coca-Cola at Dora and Brookside.

I am interested in this bottle and any other Alabama bottles if you care to sell.

bottlingco

Reaction score
celerycola,
This is very helpful information. I haven't decided if I am going to keep it or not. I have always been fascinated with how many of these type of bottling companies sprang up after the turn of the century. I can't even imagine what kind of 'red tape' would be involved in starting up a bottling company today. Besides, I would have to call it bottlingco bottling company! ~bottlingco

bottlingco

Reaction score
Good one! Working with children as a teacher, I actually know who Dora the Explorer is. Where on this forum do you post a picture of a brewery bottle? ~bottlingco
ORIGINAL: morbious_fod

I never knew that Dora the Explorer had her own cola. Couldn't resist. Looks like a great find.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottlingco

Good one! Working with children as a teacher, I actually know who Dora the Explorer is. Where on this forum do you post a picture of a brewery bottle? ~bottlingco
ORIGINAL: morbious_fod

I never knew that Dora the Explorer had her own cola. Couldn't resist. Looks like a great find.

I think those fall under the regular sections like new to the collection or digging.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter