Down in the dumps

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I went out to my dump in Montclair today, because it was 50 something degrees and it has been above freezing for the past week. I dug a few nice bottles, unfortunately no (whole) locals, though. I see great things in this dump... I hope to dig there as much as I can. Dug for a bit less than an hour, so I'd say this is a good haul, especially for me. Enjoy!

Me with a torpedo blob
img3395m.jpg

What could it be???
img3396v.jpg

It's a (whole) St. Louis beer bottle!
img3398.jpg

Cleaned. I'm amazed at how clean the bottle is, especially for a dump dug bottle. It's got NO scratches whatsoever, and the only damage is a really tiny patch of rust on the neck.
img3408n.jpg

The neck
img3410q.jpg

The base says A.B.G.M. Co. (Adolphus Busch Glass Manufacturing Co., circa 1886-1928)
img3412n.jpg

A Carter's ink (It says "CARTER'S/ 7 1/2 / MADE IN U.S." on the base)
img3413o.jpg

Here's the first torpedo bottle I dug, kinda dirty and not so special
img3406h.jpg

Then I dug another one, but this one is nice. It's got a really drippy and crude applied lip, and the bottle is FILLED with seed bubbles and some larger bubbles too. It's in great condition, with only a couple rusty bits and patches of dirt. The only damage is a minor burst bubble, but it's in a bad place and looks bad.
img3401f.jpg

The SUPER crude lip, plus you can see the bubbly texture of the glass.
img3402.jpg

Very big bubble, next to an average sized one
img3404.jpg

Here's the neck again
img3403s.jpg

I guess I kind of found a local today... It's a porcelain stopper to a local bottle. It says "PAT'D/ K.HUTTER/ FEB. 7, 1893" on the bottom part that fits into the bottle. When I (hopefully) find a bottle that matches this, I can reunite the bottle and the stopper!
img3417.jpg

From the side
img3424l.jpg

Here's another little porcelain thing I found... What could it be?
img3414f.jpg

I also found a lid to what I now know is a lightning jar, but the jar itself was nowhere to be found!
img3426.jpg

And that's about it. I hope to dig in this dump more often, as I found a few more (broken) local bottles there today! I know there's whole ones down there!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Wheelah23, That beer is interesting because of the swing of the parison when it was put in the final blow mold is what gave it the thick sided bottom glass. Nice neck and applied finish. A great bottle in my book. RED Matthews

epackage

Reaction score
Great find on that porcelain stopper Coonor, now the really good news....I sold that same Lemp Beer for $70 on E-Bay last year....keep digging brother !!!!!

JIM

Make sure you add the name on the stopper to your E-bay searches...[8D]

madman

Reaction score
great job there! those are some GREAT finds! keep digging!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

now the really good news....I sold that same Lemp Beer for $70 on E-Bay last year....keep digging brother !!!!!

That IS good news! But I wonder how a St. Louis bottle ended up all the way over here in N.J.?

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

ORIGINAL: epackage

now the really good news....I sold that same Lemp Beer for $70 on E-Bay last year....keep digging brother !!!!!

That IS good news! But I wonder how a St. Louis bottle ended up all the way over here in N.J.?
I ask myself that when I get a Paterson from Hawaii or the west coast....[8D]

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Good finds! and as mentioned great pics, esp. the blob close up. That beer is nice, bubbly, ladies leg with custom finish, cool embossing. Round bottoms, inks, porcelain stoppers are good age to make some interesting finds.

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
I always hear old farts ( like me ) sayin " the hobby's dyin off, this generation of diggers is gettin old, there's no young guys digging any more'. I always tell them they're full of it, and you're livin proof. Great to see you down in the mud, and in March! And you got some good stuff to bring home too. And don't let anyone tell you the dumps were all dug up in the 1970s. Thats what they told me too. Still plenty of stuff out there. Hope you get more! thanks for posting

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
And don't let anyone tell you the dumps were all dug up in the 1970s. Thats what they told me too. Still plenty of stuff out there. Hope you get more! thanks for posting

Bram makes a great point here....Some of the "negative nelly's" that dig with us are quick to point that out...undoubtably true but only to an extent. One guy repeating that kind of crap can take the wind out of the rest of the crews sails real quick. One of my pet peeves. Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85