Druggist Mackintosh bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Scotiaspinner

Reaction score
Found a neat bottle from Oxford, Nova Scotia today.
It says "Druggist, A. S. Mackintosh, Oxford, NS" on it.
Above that it says 3 VI on the bottle, just under the neck.
The bottom has a diamond shape with the words "Canuck Oval" in it, and around the sides I think it says B.F.G. Co.
6 3/4 inches high.
Cute little bottle!

In doing some online looking up about this one, it appears that the druggist was named Albert Scott MacKintosh, born 1855, died 1926. So I'm guessing the bottles is from that timeframe, which is kind of interesting to me. Oxford is about 15 minutes drive from where I live.

5927861418_b6157e5f89_z.jpg

5927861248_20c2bf97dd_z.jpg

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Sweet bottle! My collecting specialty is Canadian prescription drugstore bottles like this one. The bottle is from around 1910 and the letters on the base represent Beaver Flint Glass Company of Toronto. The reason why the letters are arranged around a diamond is because the Beaver Flint Glass Company was a wholesale jobber of prescription bottles, etc. on behalf of the Dominion Glass Company, which descended from an earlier company called the Diamond Flint Glass Company (hence the diamond trademark). The "3" VI on the front shoulder of the bottle indicates that it's a 6 ounce size (the "3" is actually not a 3 but a symbol for the word ounce). The VI should be obvious to anyone who suffered through Roman Numerals lessons in elementary school! Hope this helps! Again, great bottle.

5C6B4170D0A94DDE9F33BBDC1E0E44E5.jpg

Attachments

• 5C6B4170D0A94DDE9F33BBDC1E0E44E5.jpg
    5C6B4170D0A94DDE9F33BBDC1E0E44E5.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 68

Scotiaspinner

Reaction score
Wow! Great info! That is really neat about the Beaver Flint Glass Co. I can see why you like collecting this type of bottle - they are like little nuggets of history and keep alive the names and companies that existed at the time of their use.

I thought that the weirdness about the "3" was a fault in the embossing, not realizing that it was the symbol for ounce. I figured the VI was 6, but was not sure what the significance was. Now I will know that ounce symbol if I see it again.

When I have sorted out all the bottles I have, I'll have to see which ones I might want to sell, and if I decide to sell this one, I'll let you know first in case it would be a good addition to your collection.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Those are some really nice finds! If I was finding bottles like that on my own property, you couldn't pry me away at gunpoint!

madman

Reaction score
nice bottles love those pharmacys!

Scotiaspinner

Reaction score
It's an interesting property - farmhouse goes back to 1850, but was added onto over time. In addition, there is a farm winery business in the basement, so that makes it a neat place, although I'm not producing any wine yet. There are 4 old barns, a couple of which are falling down. I found some of the bottles in one of the falling down barns and got them out quick before they got crushed. It's odd because there are old bottles mixed with newer ones and I am so new to any of this bottle stuff that it takes me a while to figure out what's what. There are also some older canning jars/bottles and I need to clean those up and look at them. I was excited yesterday to find a dump of about 500 bottles in the yard but then realized they were all basically new, and the ones on the bottom are broken and it's going to take me forever to clean up. Ugh. Maybe there will be something cool at the bottom. I also have some milk bottles I need to clean up. I found a cow jaw bone yesterday too. And 2 cannonballs, about which I know nothing.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
I've had luck in old barns, too. Make sure to look in all the nooks and crannies. A buddy of mine once found an amber Eaton's poison bottle (rare) buried beneath layers of old hay near a barn wall. The bottle was likely tossed or fell there about a century ago.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter