Blob-Top Trifecta (May 2nd 2023)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Went back to the 1910-capped clay pit bottle dump that I have been extensively excavating since January. It is very difficult digging but the trade off is the bottles often come out in great condition. In about two hours of digging I recovered three blob-top beer bottles, one tooled lip med, and one wooden tobacco pipe.

20230503_132844.jpg

Bottles from left to right:

1. "North Beach Height F Frankel Bottling Co." (Bottle made by the Boley Manufacturing Co.,1898-1911)

2. "Bachmann - Bechtel Brewing Co. S.I. N.Y." (1907-1911)

3. "Jacob Oertel 151 Flushing Ave. Astoria L.I."

4. "Burnett Boston" tooled lip med/extract bottle.

Here is the Bachmann - Bechtel immediately before and after excavation:
20230503_140555.jpg

20230503_140400.jpg

20230503_140701.jpg

Bachmann brewery workers (courtesy of www.taverntrove.com):
brewery_photo_671.jpg_H1022.jpg

On Tuesday April 5th 1910 young William Bachmann died at just 30 years old, and the company went out of business:
trivia_photo_415.jpg

North Beach Height F Frankel bottle during and after excavation:
Polish_20230503_143226646.jpg

The Boley Manufacturing Co. base plate (I very rarely encounter these):
20230503_142339.jpg

Jacob Oertel bottle during and after excavation:
20230503_142816.jpg

Polish_20230503_143102551.jpg

That's all for now.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Did you find these under the mud by poking them with a Stick? LEON.

Fenndango

Reaction score
Did you use a privy probe? I'm having issues locating older and hence deeper insulators with a two-prong pitchfork, yet a single probe seems so laborious. I can work a pitchfork fast and cover much ground. I can't imagine using my spring steel privy probes. Perhaps if I made them shorter it would be easier.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Did you use a privy probe? I'm having issues locating older and hence deeper insulators with a two-prong pitchfork, yet a single probe seems so laborious. I can work a pitchfork fast and cover much ground. I can't imagine using my spring steel privy probes. Perhaps if I made them shorter it would be easier.

I believe I asked a similar question & he answered it. he uses a big stick, not a privy probe.

UnderMiner

Reaction score

I found this place originally by seeing broken bits of old bottles on the surface. I couldn't find any intact pieces on top but knew there was an old dump in the area because of the research I had done earlier. So I began shoving the spade I had brought with me as deep as it could go into the ground. Within a few minutes I hit a solid piece of glass only a few inches deep. I excavated it and sure enough it was an intact bottle from the early 1900's-1910's era. I continued using the spade to probe the area and ended up finding many of the intact bottles that were near the surface.

Thanks to the advice of hemihampton, who commented on one of my posts that I would find more if I probed the ground deeper, I got a long metal dipstick from a truck and brought that to the site. I began using that in the area of highest concentration of finds, and sure enough about 2-3 feet down in the clay I hit more targets. So I got the shovel and excavated the area down about three feet, and that's so far where I am now.

So far the only things I have excavated from this site are glass bottles, pieces of wood, bones, and small chunks of this asphalt-like material. There is no sand, gravel, large rocks, ash, or large heaps of compacted solid material such as would be typical in your average privy, it's all just amazing condition artifacts encased in clay as if someone had put them there like a time capsule. I even sometimes find the lightning stoppers on top of the bottles, the rubber and porcelain still intact like new but with no metal wire, its so bizarre.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler