Dump Dilemma

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TJSJHART

Reaction score
let the current admin. and local cops know what you are doing and what happened,,just to cover your own butt . your making yourself known to the city should do that . the steel is rough to handle let them take it , if theres copper or brass there take it with you ,,i believe it's worth more . good luck,,,oh and do bring protection with and for yourself .

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
at 5-10 cent a pound for scrap iron/steel they would have to be pretty desparate to be digging for rusted scraps. You'd have to haul all day to make cigarette money.

most local govs with just post the place if they know stuff is going on to prevent liability.

Wangan

Reaction score
I don`t know about your area,but up here copper and brass are the most sought after because of the high sales prices lately.#1 copper gets $2.75/lb.,brass is $1.55/lb.Aluminum gets $0.70/lb. Junk iron and steel are bought by the ton,you need quite a load to make any money on them.Of course the junk man will get about $3.00+ for the copper and so on.

I would just dig before they get in there and bust up any bottles.Don`t try to drive them off,they could have as much right as you to go there and as of now,things are O.K..They are probably glad you dug the metal out for them.They probably metal detect for stuff they find.Sandchip is right,they may think your wallet is a quicker buck than selling metal.I read in the paper that a guy got caught cutting an extension cord off a guys house,but there you go again,that`s copper.Maybe if you put them onto a good metal pile they will give you some room for awhile or at least think you are cool for helping.If it was me,I`d dig it fast and move on.Good luck.

cryptic

Reaction score
If they are not interested in bottles why not make a deal with them and tell them that you will pile all the scrap you find for them as long as they pile all of the bottles for you? A win win situation.

I agree with SAbottles. Get in there and do whatever it takes to keep digging!

appliedlips

Reaction score
I don't see the dilemma, public property and they are cleaning it up. I've had many other diggers find dumps I was digging but none were "mine" so I didn't worry too much about it. Sure, I want them all to myself and I want a million dollars too. Keep on digging bottles, have a great time and don't diminish by worrying about them.Good luck

Wangan

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cryptic

If they are not interested in bottles why not make a deal with them and tell them that you will pile all the scrap you find for them as long as they pile all of the bottles for you? A win win situation.

They are out for money.If they realize bottles might be worth money,they might decide they want those too.[&o] ~Tim

ncbred

Reaction score
They must be pretty desperate to be digging scrap metal out of a dump. Thats a new one to me. Up here I see people get farmers permissions to clean up old scrap iron, tin and everything else metal no longer in use but never someone work that hard digging to obtain scrap metal. My guess is if they have any thought they might can get a few bucks for some bottles also, they will take them too. I'd keep my eye on them.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Buster,
..It's usually creepy and weird when "someone" appears while digging, especially while your digging in the woods somewhere. It happens more often to us when we're digging a city lot or something...But one older (pretty much dug out) dump that Mr. Fred and I go to sometimes, has a similar issue. There are two old 'city' dumps toc and older...in the hills just outside of town. They used to be on oil field property, now no one's quite sure who the land passed to. It could be a nice area, but has continued to be a dumping area for 'fly by nighter's' etc...and is pretty trashed....The lower dump as we call it has someone's tent pitched near it in the brush,....and sometimes we find poor attempts at someone (a local weird digger) "posting" it with their own signs...This guy I've run into before, and feels he "owns" the rights to dig there. He just wnats the bottles with the 'writing' on them. [:D] Fred and I find his piles of beer cans and abandoned tools usually laying in the creek, where he leaves them. Sometimes a hardware store tin sign nailed up on a tree near where we'd dug the week before. Our weird guy's pretty harmless, other than a lot of B.S., but you never know. Take care out there...It seems pretty extreme , and there must be better places to scrap than in a bottle dump. Joe

3FFD94449D884465AFB98213A7451D03.jpg

Attachments

• 3FFD94449D884465AFB98213A7451D03.jpg
    3FFD94449D884465AFB98213A7451D03.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 69

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: logueb

So for now I'm tring to decide how to handle the situation.  Do I leave them all the metal and hope that they will not destroy any bottles in their quest for the metal?  Do I try to make a deal with these guys?  Or just move on and locate another dump and kiss this one goodbye for now?  Has any of the other dump diggers run into similiar things at their dumps?  Buster

60F57898A17041189788982C45F925B2.jpg

I dig mostly privys in peoples yards,but once in a while I do dig dumps with the Badger. If we find someone in our area,we justt tie them up and send them a drift on the river,that way they have a lot of time to think about what thay have done [8D]

logueb

Reaction score
There's a lot of ideas here, and that is what I was hoping for. Thanks to everyone for their comments and ideas. I never realized actually how much metal that was tossed into dumps until I started piling it up. And some of this stuff is quite heavy. The weight adds up on cast iron parts, old plow parts etc.
Eric, this is what I was calling a chassis. And they carried this out by hand. Car parts, axles, leaf springs, and old wheel hubs are quite heavy with thier layers of rust.There's no other way to haul this stuff out.

355C2EE0062D48B2B747E608607BB9B3.jpg

Attachments

• 355C2EE0062D48B2B747E608607BB9B3.jpg
    355C2EE0062D48B2B747E608607BB9B3.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 53

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member