Dump Walking

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

reptilekeeper

Reaction score
How many of you walk around dumps that have already been dug after a good rain? I have a great urban dump near where I work in RI. In good weather I dig everyday at lunch. "I get alot of cracks from my co workers on the condition of my clothes when I return from lunch". I have got in a habit of checking it aftrer a good rain( a habit I aquiered from searching for arrow heads) well we have been getting dumped on in the North East with rain and I have found more tiny bottles, coins, clay pipes, marbles, stoppers, lids, porc. dolls; AND THAT WAS JUST TODAY!!! I suggest you all go back to where you dig and look for all the TINY things we or others may miss.

Bottleman

Reaction score
ReptileKeeper, I agree with you that the rain will uncover small artifacts that you may have passed up wile digging the dump dry. There is one dump in particular that I have found lots of marbles in and after it rains, they will appear and can be spotted on the surface easily. By the way, do you own a reptile pet? If so I would love to see a picture. Here is one of my 11 year old female iguana.

~~Tom

B8E5AE7BEC7D46188392935E0E005B0F.jpg

Attachments

• B8E5AE7BEC7D46188392935E0E005B0F.jpg
    B8E5AE7BEC7D46188392935E0E005B0F.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 73

lexdigger

Reaction score
I do the same thing after a rain. Dumps are great places to search for marbles, dolls, small bottles, buttons, toothbrushes, and other small stuff. We even found an arrowhead on the surface at one dump we were digging. I'll even go back and check privies I've filled in on construction sites after a rain. It's not as big of an area to check, but you never know when there will be a good marble or something else laying there. I'm also an arrowhead hunter and generally keep my eyes on the ground no matter where I'm at. It's a habit I guess? LOL Chris Capley

reptilekeeper

Reaction score
Hey Bottleman, I have been keeping Reptiles and bugs since I was a tiny boy. Now I do it for a living I worked as a zoo keeper for 10 years careing for reptiles and rearing endangred insects for the US fish and Wildlife service. Now I am the Director of Conservation and Research for the same facility. I will always keep reptiles privetly, now I have 1.1 African Spur Thigh Tortoises(G. sulcata),and I keep and breed most of the American Tri color King and Milksnakes. I used to be into, and my favorites are venomous snakes and giant constrictors but my new wife prefers I leave work at work and will not allow me to keep them anymore. You should be comended on the longevity of your Iguana and boy she looks good and healthy. It is sad to see how often many of them are purchased when they are babys as impulse purchases with absolutly no husbandry knowlage; most never living long enough to see adulthood.

Lou

barbieheid

Reaction score
What a great igg picture! I too have herps; four snakes, some crested geckos and a variety of toads, frogs and efts.

Bottleman

Reaction score
Lou, that must be a great job being around reptiles all day. About 5 or so years ago I think they passes a law here in Pennsylvania that you can’t sell baby iguanas just for that reason. Kids and parents don’t realize how big they can get and the care they need. Mine was raised in a cage for a few years but now she lives in our downstairs bathroom. In the winter she crawls out to our kitchen and does here business on newspapers. In the summer we just take her outside once a day so she can eat plants and go to the bathroom. She is in excellent health.

~Tom

deepwoods

Reaction score
How big is she Tom? And does she still do the tail whip thing?

Bottleman

Reaction score
She is three feet long. I haven’t seen her do the tail whipping thing in a few years. The only time she would do it was when our one dog would walk up to her and smell her. I don’t blame her though, if I was just chilling under my heat light and a dog came up and stuck his wet noise on me I would flip out too. She is probably one of the tamest iguanas you will meet though because of the fact the she lives in the bathroom so people are around her all day.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960