Duraglas #7

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Redneckchevy7

Reaction score
I found this bottle in my aunt's woods, and it still has the lid on it. It has 3 different numbers, a 7, a 7, and a 4. There is an O with an I inside of it between the sevens, and the 4 is underneath the I and O. Underneath the 4 is the word "Duraglas." From what I could find, it was made in Alton, Illinois maybe between 1940-1960..I'd like to know a more specific date, and what the bottle was used for.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Ivy, Well it is fairly sure your Jar was made by Owens Illinois Glass Companym and the word Duraglass is also a known OWENS Glass type description. So the first thing you need to do is decide what kind of glass you want to collect and learn about. I have a description memo that covers what most of us collect and learn about in this Forum - and that is our main goal is to find early glass that was hand blown on a blow-pipe from a ball of gathered hot glass that was puffed with air on the blow pipe and then shaped into a form of soft glass that was shaped in a special shaped form that would assure even glass thickness when it was blown out to the shaped mold of the bottle they wanted to create. The bottle you have was made that same way, but it was done on an ABM Automatic Bottle Machine. If you look at the threaded closure top portion of the bottle, you can easilly see two vertical metal mold seams that were created by a neck ring. and the top edge of the glass will have a rounded top that was formed in a mold Equipment Guide. In the opinion of most collectors these bottles are not worth as much as the hand blown ones. So the objective interest you need to create is Why Do People Collect Bottles. The next question is: What kind of bottles or glass items am I interested in. I personally started out with telephone line glass insulators, then went to Milk Bottles, the n marbles, then I wanted to know how they made the milk bottle and/or marbles. From there I have spent over 77 years of collecting glass items, learning how they were made, what they were used for or what accomplishment the glass was to make the glass product better than a clay or metal container. I could go on for hours. Read my homepage, and decide what your objectives are and then email me if you would like my information letter for newbie glass collectors - that sort-ta tell what we look for in glass created objects used by man. <bottlemysteries@yahpp.com> RED MatthewsRing.

Redneckchevy7

Reaction score
Thank you so much!! I'd love to start collecting... it's definitely something I've always found interesting.

Redneckchevy7

Reaction score
I tried uploading it with the post, but it keeps freezing up. I'll have to wait until I'm on my computer, but I'll upload one as soon as possible

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Back again Ivy; I am glad to hear your interest. I have lived in the glass worlde for 77+ years at this point. I have collected well over a couple thousand glass made items,covered a lot of the glass related information on my home page. I am always creating new information to add to it to tell others what I have organized to tell them about the hand blown glass making techniques and marks that tell me about how the item was made. My list of items collected is extensive, from glass dip writing pens - to glass canes - to several main types of glass bottles. I have not invested big money in any of them - It doesn't make much seance to me put 30,000 to 50,000 bucks in an empty bottle - like people do for Historical Flasks. Most of my purchases were logical amounts and I have sold some when I have the good fortune of getting a bargain. I have a library of over a hundred or so of glass books - that I have read I am going to make a list of them for my homepage this winter. For you, I recommend a current new one by Michael Polak - available at Barnes & Noble "/ Antique Trader BOTTLES - Identification and price guide. A man that taught me of his interest in Bottles - wrote a couple books - He was Dr Larry Freeman - the book "/GRAND OLD AMERICAN BOTTLES ", Copyright 1954 - is the best one there is. There are about 30 of them that top my library list. So you need to do some ho,me work. Let me know if I can be of some special help - to you, RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
No wonder y9u couldn't send me an email. I should have been:<bottlemysteries@yahoo.com> Please review my homepage and if you want the information on newbie understanding on knowing when a bottle was hand made - i will email it to you.RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
A picture of the bottle and or description would help, preferably both.1947-7X in most likely. Something isn't showing or described in the mark whether it's a "." or number.

meldpalmer

Reaction score
The number to the left of the symbol would be the code for where it was made...the number to the right of the symbol would tell you the date. I agree with everyone else, a picture would help in us helping you identify what you have. I collect Duraglas bottles. :) Melody

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Just wanna welcome both Ivy Byers (sorry for being so late!) and Melody Palmer here.

Attachments

• e4f9947609c74caba3f0dbac22b88dd7.jpg
    e4f9947609c74caba3f0dbac22b88dd7.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 52

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter