Dyottville Excavation

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

histcloth

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone had seen this on the local news, but there was a major archaelogical excavation of the Dyottville Glassworks location, which was in the path of a proposed highway.

Archaelogical dig

Full News Story

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Thanks Nick, I didn't know that. There's a lot of cool links embedded as well. I'm definitely going to read some more of them.
Archies tend to be over protective sometimes but this is a perfect example the their usefulness.

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
PlanPhilly is not publishing the exact location of the dig, at the request of PennDOT. Officials and archaeologists alike are concerned that people interested in Dyottsville bottles – which are valuable to collectors – might come looking for them before all is recorded and cataloged.

Gotta love this comment.. like none of us could find where they are at.. gotta love the arches like we would jump thier site and risk getting locked up..

bostaurus

Reaction score
I thought that was funny too. The article mentioned I-95 being in the background too.
They don't want someone 'jumping the claim" but then said that a really interesting part of the glassworks is on private property next door.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi well I copied what was posted and even sent the following Note and tried to join in the reported information. I am especially interested in the solid pours of solid glass mold heating, to improve the quality of the glass distribution in their production.
"I am RED Matthews. I have read references to the Dyottville Glassworks use of solid bottles poured into bottle molds to preheat the molds before their bottle production was started at a shop. I have heard of specimens of these solid glass products were found there. So, I would like to know if this digging produces some samples. <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com> Thank you."
I have no Idea if this will get any replies, but I had to try. RED Matthews.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
They are worried that people might pick up some shards but its no problem the entire historic site will be bulldozed?

bostaurus

Reaction score
"But we are going to draw pictures and take some photos....so it's really not gone!" Too bad the road couldn't be diverted a bit, the site dug and then one of our early glass houses preserved and opened to the public. One can only dream.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Oldihtractor

Gotta love this comment.. like none of us could find where they are at.. gotta love the arches like we would jump thier site and risk getting locked up..

some would

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

They are worried that people might pick up some shards but its no problem the entire historic site will be bulldozed?

I got one Dyottville bottle they will never touch!!!! yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Boie[:D][:-]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960