E.E.Sutherland Medicine Company

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TexasDave

Reaction score
We found this Dr. Bell's Pine-Tar-Honey - E.E.Sutherland Medicine Company, Paducah, Ky. bottle during one of our creeking episodes. It's 7" tall and 2-1/2" wide, aqua and embossed "E.E.Sutherland Medicine Company, Paducah, Ky" on the face "Dr. Bell's" on one side and "Pine-Tar-Honey" on the other.

Searching on the net I found a September 1, 1905 reference to "W. F. Paxon, E. E. Sutherland Medicine Co., Paducah, KY" as well as seperate references to "Dr. Bell's "Pine-Tar-Honey" all early 1900 dates.

It doesn't appear to be a high dollar bottle but I like anything nice that's a hundred years old. Any additional info would be great ...

Ki18402.jpg

Attachments

• Ki18402.jpg
    Ki18402.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 139

whiskeyman

Reaction score
DAVE...we dig those occasionally here in East Tn -SW Va region. Like ya said they have small value.
I picked up this related item a few years ago in a local antique mall...Maybe was meant to be a watch fob? It is the same on bothe sides:

Us55125.jpg

Attachments

• Us55125.jpg
    Us55125.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 138

TexasDave

Reaction score
That's a neat item, Charlie. I think you might be right about it being a watch FOB, definitely some type of pendant. Good deal on picking that one up. Looks like that pine-tar-honey was a pretty well advertised product, I bet it tasted bad enough to kill any cough.

Probably a lot less of these bottles to find here on the middle Texas coast than there are in the TN/VA area, I have to wonder how ours ended up here.

Thanks, David

whiskeyman

Reaction score
DAVE...lots of bottles from here have ended up in Texas...Competition in the Northern states was pretty fierce, so many companes in TN VA KY,etc..shipped their wares South & West. I have found that stuff from here rarely turns up at the Northern shows.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I had a Dr.Bell's Pine - Tar - Honey bottle once that was in the shape of a Whiskey bottle and it was Amber. I bought it at a Antique shop .... because I thought it was very unusual in this shape...... I had always seen them in the Aqua med bottle shape. I'm sorry to say , I sold it many years ago and don't have any pics. Ever heard of this one ?
Brian

capsoda

Reaction score
Hi all, I knew I had read something about pine tar and honey. I have a very crude one that says Dr. Bell's Pine-Tar-Honey for Coughs and Colds on the front panel, Dr bell's on one side and Pine-Tar-Honey on the other. The thing that puzzels me is that the bottle is very crude and looks BIM but has seams like a ABM. The center line [Pine-tar-honey] is barely there, the inside of the neck is tooled and the bottom seems odd. Is this what is called a transition bottle?

Hey Charlie, What you have there is a salesmans vest pin. A ribbon hung from the square piece {rocking chair} the bell hung from the bottom of the ribbon. Salesmen wore them as advertisements on their vest or lapel. Watch fobs are almost always solid or plaited gold or silver. Take it from a retired Jeweler/Watchmaker.

Mk25550.jpg

Attachments

• Mk25550.jpg
    Mk25550.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 140

madman

Reaction score
hey texas dave, that is a beatiful bottle nice shape!! yo cap the bottle you have is probably an early machine made bottle, check these out and have a nice holiday mike

Da83238.jpg

Attachments

• Da83238.jpg
    Da83238.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 128

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members