E. M. & Co. flasks. where from??????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NorCalBottleHunter

Reaction score
i have these pint size flasks, one i just picked up recently, which sparked my curiosity of the glass makers mark. The flasks themselves are different from every thing i have with their narrow strap seams, the two differ from each other also, as you can see in picture one. Any info would be great, thanks for viewing!
3329733710_5ac1bf859a.jpg

3328900573_16e1fe926e.jpg

3329733808_e555e0b43d.jpg

ilovejake24

Reaction score
These markings on the base of your bottles stand for Edward Martin & Company. According to John L. Thomas, Edward Johnson Martin immigrated to San Francisco in 1848 and became quite well off due to his mining endeavors. In 1859 he opened a wholesale liquor business with partners Daniel Henarie, E.P. Rowe and James Mairs. Their firm was titled E. Martin & Co. In 1870 Edward Martin decided to expand and he brought in John F. Cutter into his business. In 1873 he brought in Milton Hardy.

In today 's market, many of E. Martin's whiskey bottles are quite collectable. Ones that i can recall include, but are not limited to: the 2 variants of the Miller's Flask (both large and small design), the Miller's fifth, the crown shoulder E. Martin flask, the 2 variants of the crown shoulder E. Martin fifth, and the mid-crown E. Martin fifth. In my opinion the two flasks you have are considered scarce. I know of a fair amount of Western glass collectors who own them. I believe they were a product of one of the Western Glass House's and mainly come in shades of Amber (although i have seen a light green one). These flasks you own come in both tooled and applied tops as well as both half pint and pint examples. I hope this info helped answer your questions. Good luck with all your collecting endeavors.

NorCalBottleHunter

Reaction score
thanks for the info, ilovejake24, that was very helpful and very interesting. due to the info i believe i am going to be on the look out for different colors and variants of these flasks. thanks again!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles